No more certificates through the mail

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Novell is "going green" by adopting new business models and transforming old ones. Starting January 15, 2009 all Novell customers will start receiving their certification certificates via e-mail in an electronic format. We want to do our part to help create a safe and friendly energy efficient environment.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    They can't send out THAT many certificates can they?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That should save at least 6 sheets of paper per year.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    That should save at least 6 sheets of paper per year.

Awww now come on guys, dont you mean 6 sheets of TOILET PAPER (that it is) per year!!! haha
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Novell wants attention.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Microsoft will be moving to an electronic fulfillment model too within the year (they should announce something in the next couple of months). Say goodbye to the printed certs and wallet cards everything will be a d/l from the MCP site.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Microsoft will be moving to an electronic fulfillment model too within the year (they should announce something in the next couple of months). Say goodbye to the printed certs and wallet cards everything will be a d/l from the MCP site.

They're a waste of resources anyways. Does anybody seriously do anything with the stuff they get anyways besides throwing it in a box? I personally stopped requesting them a long time ago.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You don't have that nifty jacket lined with all your MCP lapel pins?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    royal wrote: »
    They're a waste of resources anyways. Does anybody seriously do anything with the stuff they get anyways besides throwing it in a box? I personally stopped requesting them a long time ago.

I request them simply to be as much of a pain in the butt as possible to them. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□

I request them as a test for my postman - I give him marks from 1-10 on how bent they are when they arrive. (Then they go in a drawer never to be seen again).
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Sounds like cost cutting they are trying to play off as "going green" (not to mention trying to get publicity with it).
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□

i can see what your saying but i like to have the certificates still. It would be nice if there was a central place you could electronically store and access your certs from all vendors, regardless of testing centre etc
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Sounds like cost cutting they are trying to play off as "going green" (not to mention trying to get publicity with it).

My company stopped printing "seasons greetings" cards, and switched from printed to electronic diaries, to save the environment!, they use the amount saved "or some of it" to save the environment.

Back to topic .. I love the paper certificates and wallet cards.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    You don't have that nifty jacket lined with all your MCP lapel pins?

They make excellent Fridge Magnets
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote: »
    Awww now come on guys, dont you mean 6 sheets of TOILET PAPER (that it is) per year!!! haha

Now now. You are not deriding the CNA or CNE are you? The certification track is both challenging and very useful if you work with Novell products, as many people still do.

While diminishing there are still a number of good roles out there for qualified people. Here is an example..

:IDM Consultant. Novell Access Manager/iChain/iManager. Required to join a true leader in their field. You will be a highly experienced consultant with in-depth knowledge and experience of IDM Novell products. My client offers services to a range of public and private sector clients, offering you an opportunity to work on a range of challenging projects. You must have experience with Novell Access Manager and Novell iChain, and must have previous experience of solutions design right through to implementation and support of the IDM solutions. Local candidates can be based from their office in Manchester; other candidates can be homed based across the UK. You would need to be flexible to travel to client sites as and when necessary. Candidates must also have excellent communication skills, along with the ability to work alone or within a team environment. This is a great opportunity and we welcome applications from anyone looking to further develop their career in a dynamic and challenging environment.

There is a fantastic package available with this role including: an excellent starting salary, car allowance, bonus, health, pension, phone, laptop and more. All enquiries welcome."

Novell Identity Manager

http://www.novell.com/products/identitymanager/

As for the quality of the certificates themselves I was rather disappointed with the look and feel of those sent to me in 2007, not as nice as the old ones.

I shall probably do the linux variants in the Novell track later this year. The SuSE based certification tracks look interesting. There's plenty going on with Novell and linux and VMWare for that matter.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    What's Novell?
    Good luck to all!
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Just another misguided step at hurting the environment than protecting it. Seems to me like decision by a junior secretary at Novell. You want to protect the environment by saving on a few paper sheets?

Go and stop the American, Chineese, Indian, Asian, Arab, Latin American, African governments, global auto-industry, oil empires, steel companies, property developers, plastic factories, clothing companies (GAP, etc), gold/diamond/mining firms, food-proccessing firms, Hollywood stars and their multi-acre mansions and palaces; go after the nuclear, biological, chemical, aircarft, tank, rifle manufacturing companies and lobbysits; go after electronic firms (Sony, LG, etc) who unnecessareily introudce new products; go after those greedy people who spend excessively; go after ship cruise vactioners and firms; go after the airline industry....

Should I go on? Hopefully, the junior secretary at Novell read this and reverse the decision (by sending paper mail to inform) :)
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    What's Novell?

HAHAHA...

I used to work as a Novell admin in the 95/98/NT days and then when 2k started coming out the common rumours were that Novell NDS was written by some guy who then got poached by MS to write Active Directory... I make no assertions as to the accuracy of this rumour but the two are very similar.
    Kam.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    What's Novell?

How dare you!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Astorrs does it too.

Oh well, you know what they say about imitation...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What's imitation? ;)
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like the certificates they mail. We need to keep the USPS in business you know

The going green thing is just a marketing ploy for corps to save money by reducing printing costs

As if paper doesn't quicky decompose once it hits the landfill (assuming it's not recycled which a lot of it is here in the USA)

:)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    So what costs more?

1. Printing a certificate and mailing it.
    OR

2. Maintaining 24/7 servers with security and people to monitor, using electricit, so that people someone, anywhere, can access at any moment they need....a copy of their transcript that they'll PRINT out for someone...likely to print 2 copies just to be safe. ;)

Frankly, I don't care. The certs look silly hanging up. The end result is the person KNOWS the material or they don't and when you have a seasoned tech who cannot hook up dual monitors.....that A+ doesn't mean a lot....and then give a bunch of doubt to anything else hanging on the wall next to that cert.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guys as much as most go on about the paper certs being meaningless, why do we all (most) list our certs beside our names? In fact there are many here who have cross-certified to other tracks by simply using one they earned from a different vendor - How has that any more meaning than a piece of paper on the wall? I'm guilty, I list by CCSP sub certs when they are implied by the CCSP itself, the same with folks who list MCP/MCSA under the MCSE. My point is there seems to be a prevalent snobbery whenever the issue of cert. issuance and display comes up that in most cases is hypocritical taken in light of other displays.
    You earned 'em, there's no shame in displaying them (as long as it's not to rub someone else's face in it).
    Just seems silly every time this comes up it's like everyone rushes to take some sort of perceived moral highroad.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Amen. I print mine off the websites at 2500% and tile my walls with them.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    astorrs wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhh and how about an option to buy a t-shirt that says, "I spent thousands of dollars on these MS tests and all I got was a few jpg's."