Options

Has anyone used Transcender and what did they think?

srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used Transcender to study and what did they think? Did it help you with your exams?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use them for all my exam. They're not perfect. They usually have a couple of errors, but overall, I like them quite a bit.
  • Options
    bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used them for 210,215 and 620 and it definatley helped me get through these tests. They can be quite expensive though, but are a worthwhile purchase in my opinion. I'm using them for 291 currently.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I'm really worried about getting through a test I'll fork out the money for a Transcender. Like dynamik said they're not perfect; but they're consistently very good, and the explanations they provide are great and encourage me to do more research in the areas I am weakest.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The best source you can get really... if can afford them.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply everyone. For my certs I have in the past used O'Reilly books, Microsoft books and vtc.com traing as well as some classes. I had never used Tanscender but I will try based on your info. Thanks!
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Just FYI Transcender offer free demos of some of their products - http://www.transcender.com/demos/
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    So far, Transcender has been the best practice test software that I've used. Usually very similar to the real exam format, the questions are usually worded the same way, use the same language, etc. You really get a feel for what you're walking into on exam-day.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ive used them for a few tests. IMHO they're better as another learning aid, and not so much as a judge of how prepared for the test you are.

IDK if they're worth the cost. For that money I'd rather have the CBT I think.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Best practice software I've used as well. However, they tend to not be difficult or representative of what to expect on upgrade exams, especially 70-292 and 70-649.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Personally I think they're the best study method out there, but they're too pricey. If you can find a deal online where you can buy the cert voucher AND the trancender with it that's your best deal.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    great additional study tool.... Once I've finished reading the books as major study tools, I always use transcenders as a final prep in conjunction with labwork and my revision notes before the exam!

Thumbs up from me!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Transcender practice exams back in 2000, for my MCSD. They were excellent and were top quality.

I recently purchased Transcender exam for SS 2005 Business Intelligence, 70-445. Last summer I used PrepLogic materials for SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance.

Transcender was taken over by Kaplan at some point. My impressions of the exam are that they are okay.

When I want to print a question and explanation, the printing is erratic and unpredictable. Say I want to print question #3 in an exam I am reviewing, the software prints question #2. If I want to print the last question in the exam, it does not do it. There is also no option to print all questions that you have marked.

I have noticed that sporadically, the software changes an answer that I select. I observed this situation this morning and the other day. For example, I may have selected answer number 3 in the list of choices, then when I score the test and review the answers, a different answer selection is indicated as my answer. No biggie, because these exams are good for learning the material, however, programming problems such as what I have mentioned makes one doubt the credibility of the material.

Just recently, I can across a few more advanced question topics, and the explanations given support one of the possible answers they say are incorrect, then go on to say that the "correct" answer is incorrect.

The PrepLogic Exams I thought were excellent. I used the practice exams, Mega Guide which was not really worth it, audio CDs which were okay. They do not have study materials for 70-445, otherwise I would have acquired them.
  • Options
    brandon1109brandon1109 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend them....they are thorough but are pricey....
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Brandon,
    You thought Transcender exams were pricey? I just bought the Sql Server BI(70-445) materials for $149. I did not think that was expensive.
  • Options
    brandon1109brandon1109 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Brandon,
    You thought Transcender exams were pricey? I just bought the Sql Server BI(70-445) materials for $149. I did not think that was expensive.

Thats a good deal.....when I was looking for them they were $200 + more than the cost of the cert itself....compared to a book $40-60 It is somewhat pricey but if it gets the job done thats all that matters......currently I am comtemplating buying CBT Nuggets which i think is a pretty hefty investment.....