Options

Error copying running config to startup

LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am trying to simply save my config and I am getting the following error message:

Router#show startup-config
Using 1648 out of 245752 bytes
%Error opening nvram:/startup-config (Unknown error 0)

Anyone got any ideas as to whats going on here?

I tried to do an erase and format but both of them have given me errors as if the chip is not even present. Anyway to check if this is a corruption problem or if the chip is just simply MIA?

This is on a router I JUST got from Cisco as a replacement.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What was the error when you tried erase and format? Did you try "erase /all nvram:"?
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I had something similar once, turned out the removable flash card had come loose.

Can you do a show nvram: ?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    NVRAM should be a chip on the motherboard.

What router is this anyway?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    LOkrasa wrote: »
    This is on a router I JUST got from Cisco as a replacement.
    Keep in mind that, if this was a replacement router under a warranty, there's a very good chance that it's a used or refurbished unit they sent you, and they can have some issues Cisco might've missed. Go through the process of doing any and all troubleshooting you can, but don't hesitate to call Cisco and ask them about it if you cannot find any other solution to this issue.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As said Cisco from my dealings are good with swap outs if there is an issue.
    have you rebooted the router yet if so what was the result?
    have you checked for known bugs in the ios version\ build "it is a long shot but not compleatly unknown"

J
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What model is this? Some of the new ones have removable flash that you can access without cracking open the box. Either way, you might want to reseat the card
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the late response guys.

The model is a 2811 and I solved the issue yesterday with a erase nvram: command. When I booted the router for the first time I got a ton of errors relating to nvram. I searched online for some answers and I noticed that the erase nvram: seemed to be a common solution. However, when I tried to do this I got an error saying that it could not perform this action. This is when I tried posting on here to find out if anyone else has an answer. I continued to search online for a solution, or somewhere that states where I could find the actual nvram chip so I can just swap it out with my old router but nothing came up. As a last ditch effort, I rebooted the router one more time and tried the erase nvram: command again, but this time it worked! I was able to actually load my config onto the router and got it up and running. It's been working fine ever since last night and I am keeping the case open with TAC for a little while just in case. Thanks for the help guys!
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    What model is this? Some of the new ones have removable flash that you can access without cracking open the box. Either way, you might want to reseat the card
    The card is used to store IOS and various other files. The config is still on a chip on the motherboard. It is either on its own EEPROM or a small part of the flash memory inside.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    The card is used to store IOS and various other files. The config is still on a chip on the motherboard. It is either on its own EEPROM or a small part of the flash memory inside.

Cool. I was wondering what those new cards were for.

In the olden days, we had to erase the EPROMs by peeling away the label and exposing the chip to a UV light. Much easier nowadays.

:)
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Cool. I was wondering what those new cards were for.

In the olden days, we had to erase the EPROMs by peeling away the label and exposing the chip to a UV light. Much easier nowadays.

:)

Don't you mean EEPROMs?
  • Options
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    Don't you mean EEPROMs?
    Nope. EPROMs needed to be erased by putting them under a UV light.

EPROM is Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. The extra E in EEPROM is Electrically.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, NVRAM chips were PLCC chips that were socketed on the system board of a router, typically 32k, 64k, 128k etc..

But that is old, now the newer routers and devices use simulated NVRAM stored in flash, often times compact flash cards.

Also these nvram chips are not erasable by exposing them to uv light because the chips are not open to see.

Have a look for yourself;

2610nvram.jpg
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Nope. EPROMs needed to be erased by putting them under a UV light.

EPROM is Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. The extra E in EEPROM is Electrically.

Well, learn something new every day! Just abouts.
  • Options
    mgeorge wrote: »
    First off, NVRAM chips were PLCC chips that were socketed on the system board of a router, typically 32k, 64k, 128k etc..

But that is old, now the newer routers and devices use simulated NVRAM stored in flash, often times compact flash cards.

Also these nvram chips are not erasable by exposing them to uv light because the chips are not open to see.

Have a look for yourself;

2610nvram.jpg

Don't think Netwurk was pointing to the fact in order to erase the NVRAM you needed to expose the chip to light. Not so, just saying that back in the OLD-FART-DAYS of computing some chips you had to expose to light to erase them.

My confusion was I remember the double EE from EERPOM from somewhere. Not that I was an expert or even knew what it meant. What I do remember seeing is an old friend of mine who use to buy old arcade cabinet video games and then resell them use to have this box with a light in it where he use to throw those EPROM chips to erase them. That was beyond me for the time. Circa 1990-1995.