Options

UNIX Cert?

nixie21nixie21 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
At work we are on a HP-UX. We have no administrator and I think I would like to learn this. I use Linux at home, UNIX at work so I understand the basic use of each. Does anyone know where I should look to get UNIX certified? Finding Linux seems to be a bit easier!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Linux is definitely more popular, at least here.

I'd start here. It looks like there are some books available as well.
  • Options
    Thanks! I would rather Linux, but I can work on UNIX at work and get experience since we really do not have a UNIX admin....
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nixie21 wrote: »
    Thanks! I would rather Linux, but I can work on UNIX at work and get experience since we really do not have a UNIX admin....
    You'll make way more in the long run as an HP-UX admin than a Linux admin too. ;)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I suggest you focus on HP-UX rather than Linux, as astors said you will get paid more as UNIX admin in general; as you will find UNIX more in the high-end applications and large-sized corporations. Focus on HP-UX and learn as much as you can. Certifications come later.

I'm not sure about HP, but I think there are HP-UX certs. Learn HP-UX and if you get the chance to work with SUN Solaris & IBM AIX this will be a great asset to you.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're looking for a Unix cert, then you should probably start with Sun.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    If you're looking for a Unix cert, then you should probably start with Sun.
    Usually I would agree with you, but he said "At work we are on a HP-UX. We have no administrator and I think I would like to learn this." and given that they have HP-UX servers already he can gain both the certification and more importantly experience working on the hardware which will benefit him when he decides to move on down the road.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Usually I would agree with you, but he said "At work we are on a HP-UX. We have no administrator and I think I would like to learn this." and given that they have HP-UX servers already he can gain both the certification and more importantly experience working on the hardware which will benefit him when he decides to move on down the road.
    Yup, fair enough. Going for the HP-UX cert is probably the best bet, in that case. (I didn't know there was a cert on HP-UX, but that's just me not doing my research. :D)

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    (I didn't know there was a cert on HP-UX, but that's just me not doing my research. :D)

That, or looking at the links in the second post. Who knows? ;)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    That, or looking at the links in the second post. Who knows? ;)
    Nah, I just filter you out. Every time I see a post with the word 'dynamik' in it, I begin to hear angry and/or frantic babbling, like in those Tide Pen commercials where the stain on the guy's shirt shouts over the whole interview, distracting the hiring manager from anything the guy says. icon_lol.gif

It's a good thing we're friends, around here. Imagine what we'd say to each other if we didn't like each other. icon_mrgreen.gif

• Options
    Thanks for the replies. Very confusing, as depending where you read, people have different opinions... I have read that HP-UX is the way to go, then others say UNIX is disappearing and Linux is the way to go. I ordered a training book for HP-UX admin, that is also a guide to get you ready for the HP certification test. I will read and re-read this and try to do as much at work as I can...

Thanks!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    nixie21 wrote: »
    T...then others say UNIX is disappearing and Linux is the way to go. ...
    Thanks!

That's absolutely wrong, specially with the support offered by both SUN and IBM.

And it shouldn't make difference to you because you only have a chance to get experience with HP-UX. It will be much better than learning Linux from books. You can learn linux later if you need it, but focus on HP-UX now
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    That's absolutely wrong, specially with the support offered by both SUN and IBM.

And it shouldn't make difference to you because you only have a chance to get experience with HP-UX. It will be much better than learning Linux from books. You can learn linux later if you need it, but focus on HP-UX now

You are 100% correct...thanks!