Options

Devry University

suren327suren327 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out my next step on planning for school. the field that i want to get into is networking. most of the really good job positions out there beside certifications ask for BS is computer science, so i am considering gettin my BS degree. One of the programs i'm looking at is the BS program in Network and Communications Management at Devry university. does anyone know if this program would incorporate programming or any other courses that may be useless to me?? the program can be completed in 3yrs full time so that's another reason i'm interested in it. Also i would appreciated any other opinions on gettin the BS degree. I live in ft. lauderdale , FL if that helps with school options..thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I'm in the same boat. I'm a student online for Devry majoring in network/communications management as well. I honestly regret. Should of just gone to a local community college. The sign up process is confusing since everything is done over the phone. I need to contact my advisor and get back in school. I'm confused on the loans.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Trying to transfer credits from Debry is like transfering them from Baker College.

You should either go to State School or find out where you want to transfer too in the future and ask them. Impossible to just guess as I do not represent that school nor any other school admissions. So....talk to the schools. REMEMBER, they are SELLING you a class, so they may tell you whatever they need to get you to sign up.

Personally, I'd recommend sticking with traditional schools.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    It looks solid but remember "in just 3 years if you attend class year-round". You need 124 credit-hours over 8 straight semesters. Which at 3-4 credit hours per class is around 5 classes per semester. A full-time course load is about 12 credit-hours, you will probably not have time for a job while attending.

According to the course catalog you will be taking some programming classes, which you need to be exposed to no matter what IT field you go into. Half of the classes you take are not going to have anything to do with computers or networking, i.e. english, math, etc... Getting a degree and certs is probably the best and safest way to go at this point though, and may be mandatory down the road.

DeVry is a well-recognized school, but can be costly. If you are willing to drive 45-minutes south consider FIU, it is less expensive and the program covers a broader subject area. (As you are exposed to other fields you might find that you like database's more than networking.)

Here is a link to the program in reference: http://www.cis.fiu.edu/programs/undergrad/it/single.php

You have plenty of options here in So. Fla. especially if you have the money to spend on school.

- Robert
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devry. I hate that place. They take your money and don't deliver an education. I met some of the stupidest people I've ever met there. These are people that will walk away from that place $60K in debt and completely unable to get a decent paying job. I feel sorry for most of them because they'll never be able to obtain the salary to support those payments. It is impossible to fail a class there in my opinion which makes for an easy and basically worthless degree. I'm ashamed to even have it and have thought more than once about giving it back and getting my money back. This place is a private institution which means they are in business to make money. If you just need a piece of paper and are willing to pay for it, then go for it. If you need to get an education, go somewhere else. Community college will deliver more for much, much less $$$.
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    hey rfult001 I myself am a senior now in high school and posted a thread on this... and I will be attending FIU, its the best option and close to where I live.... now that I looked into the link you provided, is that a BS in CIS???? I have a friend at my local gym that attends FIU and is doing MIS, and he says its great, so whats difference between MIS and CIS... what does each one deal with or their differences?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think that there are some people who can go to places like DeVry and get something good out of it, but I think it's mostly because of what they put into it. It's a VERY expensive education option and there are a lot more options out there that are more respected and a lot less expensive.

I've always been turned off by their hard sale tactics and the fact that you had to talk to someone on the phone or get on their mass-mailing list in order to receive info. I ran into some of that with WGU as well, that place just wasn't my cup of tea either. But to each their own.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Darian929 wrote: »
    hey rfult001 I myself am a senior now in high school and posted a thread on this... and I will be attending FIU, its the best option and close to where I live.... now that I looked into the link you provided, is that a BS in CIS???? I have a friend at my local gym that attends FIU and is doing MIS, and he says its great, so whats difference between MIS and CIS... what does each one deal with or their differences?

Nope. It is a BS in Information Technology. The program is part of the CS dept though. MIS is a business degree offered through the Business Admin dept, and is less technical. MIS @ FIU will deal more with Web Commerce and site design. IT covers a broad range of technical areas to help design, implement, administer, and support networks and data.
  • Options
    j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    suren327 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out my next step on planning for school. the field that i want to get into is networking. most of the really good job positions out there beside certifications ask for BS is computer science, so i am considering gettin my BS degree. One of the programs i'm looking at is the BS program in Network and Communications Management at Devry university. does anyone know if this program would incorporate programming or any other courses that may be useless to me?? the program can be completed in 3yrs full time so that's another reason i'm interested in it. Also i would appreciated any other opinions on gettin the BS degree. I live in ft. lauderdale , FL if that helps with school options..thanks

Im enrolled and I can tell you im not satisfied I had material deliver to me more clear and concise when I obtain my AAS degree and a local college and actually learned and retain from what I learn there. Devry is more of a get online do your dicussions and your homework which you rarely have. It seems its more dicussions your doing there than anything nothing hands on. However as said if you want an actually education and want to gain knowledge from a professor and hands on I would try a local college that provides a BS degree. thats what im currently looking for.
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I like my Private Univeristy because they already have a great name in there Game Design and there Network Security. Sure its cost alot, but I have my military benefits helping out alot.

"You get what you pay for."
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    suren327suren327 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well that clears alot up from what u guys said...a local community college offers the CCNP as an associate degree program which i think sounds alot better than devry. it seems like i would learn alot and most of the course is cisco classes with only a few academic which is needed to get the degree incase i wanna transfer after towards a bachelors
  • Options
    suren327 wrote: »
    well that clears alot up from what u guys said...a local community college offers the CCNP as an associate degree program which i think sounds alot better than devry. it seems like i would learn alot and most of the course is cisco classes with only a few academic which is needed to get the degree incase i wanna transfer after towards a bachelors

Double check this info. Something like this may be a non-credit certification program or an AS degree, which may not be transferable into a bachelors program. Generally, to get into a BA or BS degree you need to take a set of core courses (english, math, etc.) to qualify. Most AS program's are technical degree's that skip these core requirements. Check with an advisor at this college before you make any decisions.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    First off let me say I don't believe online classes are worth a damn. Go in person and interact and learn IHMO.

Second I went to Devry and think I got a good education, I got a job offer for 70k only a year after finishing school and I landed a 50k job (midwest) while still in school. While I chalk the 70k job to my experience, the 50k job was through my school. Obviously everyone's results will vary but my point is I had a good experience.

However I think the school is too expensive, I would go to a state school just because it's cheaper. You may end up learning more or less depending on the school however. Personally I'm going back to school (for something completely different) but I chose a state school.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Take this into consideration...

It seems you only want to learn about Networking. That is great.
    But you can not expect to go through life and jobs only knowing about Networking.

The reason employers (mostly top employers, fortune 500 companies) require Bachelors in a State University is because you learn more then that your Major's title is... Yeah the Biology class, Economic classes and Humanities classes have **** to do with putting firmware on a server but it is proof you'll learn anything and will succeed in other fields.

(IMO For-profit schools, online universities are there for people (mid-aged) who NEED to switch careers. Not for someone who doesn't have a career already. They NEED to because they either can't stand what they are doing or want to do something different but it is a field that requires some type of 'degree'.)

You will hear stories of people being successful with degrees from DeVry or ITT Tech. DUH!! I mean if you have 10,000+ graduates a year a few are bound to get decent jobs.

If you are under the age of 30 there is NO reason what so ever to NOT go to a Community College or State University for a education.

I understand the temptation for-profit school make. They have great commercials showing happy couples and a good life. :)

But this is reality and you should NEVER try and take short cuts. Go the long route and learn as much as you can, you will be rewarded when you make it.

That is my 2 cents, buy what you can with it :)
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Technically speaking, DeVry is a legit school-- it is regionally accredited.

The reality is, though, is that the quality varies depending on the program and on the campus-- not to mention the school gets lumped in with less credible "trade schools" all the time.

It's an expensive route to take-- there are better, less expensive programs from other regionally accredited, non-profit schools.

The only situation where I'd recommend DeVry is for someone who got a "trade school" degree from a place like ITT that won't transfer directly to a traditional college. At least in that circumstance a graduate could salvage whatever credits into a more valuable diploma.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently completed a little study involving student loan defaults. This study may be published as soon as this week.

Schools with the highest number of defaulted students per the 2008 Cohort Default Rate

University of Phoenix - 7,373
    Western International University - 6,115
    American InterContinental - 2,525
    DeVry University - 2,036
    Inter American U of PR - 1,783
    Kaplan University - 1,444
    Colorado Tech - 1,165

Phoenix and Western are the same company, Apollo Group. At least the DeVry numbers have held relatively steady over the past three years.

My advice: Before taking out expensive student loans to pay attendance at these health clubs masquerading as colleges, conduct some research. $400 for an undergrad class costs far less than $2,000.