Options

Final interview on Friday.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Some of you might have seen some threads about a job opportunity I am pursuing with a company where you are paid to obtain CCNA/CCNP/CCVP certifications and get some real hands on both on lab equipment as well as working with engineers on customer jobs as you hone your skills.

I've had some concerns about the relocation requirement, but after talking to the employer and laying out my situation it's not going to end up causing any troubles, so after several phone interviews (initial with recruiter, one with senior manager, and a technical interview) I have scheduled a final on-grounds interview this Friday. I'm excited and nervous at the same time, excited because this is a great opportunity and exactly where I want my career to move towards, but also nervous because it's such a great opportunity and I know the competition will be strong and in many numbers. Looks like a fairly grueling interview process, I'll be meeting with 5 various people within the company, each with a half hour or so of time from the recruiter to management and a couple technical architects and followed up with lunch with an employee who was part of the same program previously to give me an opportunity to get a better feel for the position and ask questions. I've never really had an interview schedule like this previously, all of my others have always been with one or two people - so it's a bit intimidating but I'm sure I'll relax shortly after things get moving and it'll be easy.

Hopefully I'll soon be moving up and out of system administration and more into a networking/voice career!

Comments

• Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Best of luck with the interview, the only advice I can offer is not to treat any of your interviewers less seriously than the others. I had a full day interview a few years ago (they are knackering) and was apparently regarded as dismissive by one of the interviewers (I was asked what problems I foresaw in developing a particular application and she didn't seem to like my answer of "there shouldn't be any if the planning is done correctly"), it later turned out she was the bosses PA and the rumor in the company was that she offered a little more personal assistance than her job title suggested... :D
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Make sure you smile and act like you want to be there. Shake there hands strong and grab there shoulder like an excutive would. Give them the "I want this attiude" and that will help you from being nerivous.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    IMO, if you've made it this far, this is probably more of a "social" interview. I'm sure there will be some technical questions, but I think they are going to look at you and say to themselves, "can I work with this guy?", so be a nice guy!
  • Options
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    IMO, if you've made it this far, this is probably more of a "social" interview. I'm sure there will be some technical questions, but I think they are going to look at you and say to themselves, "can I work with this guy?", so be a nice guy!

That's why I'm keeping my user interaction at my current job at a minimum today.... so I don't arrive at the interview with my "WHY IN THE @!@#%% DO I WORK IN IT" face on :)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you definitely will get this job as long as you show up on time and are courteous and confident. You've made it through the tough parts now they just want to make sure you're not a mutant with no social skills.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck! Hopefully we will hear some good news back from you!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Just got back from the interview, I think everything went very well. I was incredibly nervous at first, not because of it being a final interview, but because it was snowing this morning. I accounted for that by giving myself an hour and 15 minutes to arrive for what is normally a 30 minute drive. I took me about two hours for the drive thanks to accidents on the highways. To top things off, I called and left a message for the first person interviewing me, but I also called the main number as their final interview confirmation provided for emergencies if something came up, and they typed the incorrect number and the one they wrote was disconnected - information even had the wrong number.

I met with 5 people and had lunch with two who are nearing completion of the program I am interviewing for so I had a chance to ask questions. I got to speak to some very bright people and I felt a very good vibe from all of them with the exception of one who I wouldn't say I got a bad vibe from, but just that they are very straight and to the point. I was conversing with the two at lunch about it and they mentioned he is usually like that and most interviewees have a similar reaction.

Now I wait, I should hear back early to mid next week they said.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck, sounds like you got it!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I would have to say pre-congrats, it definitely sounds like you landed that job. Hopefully things will turn out, either way let us know!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Congrats.. It is good to hear of stories like these.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day