Options

Windows 7 Certification?

Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know when there will be a Windows 7 certification, and if there will be an upgrade path for those who have the Vista certification?

I've been searching Google and the Microsoft website, but haven't found any mention of it.

I've been studying for 70-621 and am wondering if it's still worth doing, or should I wait for a Windows 7 exam? I would imagine that having a Vista cert would make you pretty well prepared for Windows 7 certification?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Tech109 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when there will be a Windows 7 certification, and if there will be an upgrade path for those who have the Vista certification?

I've been searching Google and the Microsoft website, but haven't found any mention of it.

I've been studying for 70-621 and am wondering if it's still worth doing, or should I wait for a Windows 7 exam? I would imagine that having a Vista cert would make you pretty well prepared for Windows 7 certification?
    You can bet there will be new MCTS exams, but since Windows 7 has yet to even enter public beta... go write the Vista exam ;)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're not tight on money, finish it up. Like you said, 7 will be based off of Vista, so it'll be a smaller step to make. I haven't heard anything, but it'll probably be atleast 3-6 months after 7 is released. I would assume they'll add an updated MCITP:EST for it.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Have to agree with Dynamik here. Vista was a early release of Windows 7 so i am sure the exam is going to be extremely close.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll finish preparing for the Vista exam and sit as soon as possible.

I installed Windows 7 over the weekend and have begun using/tweaking/exploring it - so far very impressed!

One interesting thing is the "Devices and Printers" troubleshooter which takes the Device Manager hardware troubleshooting one step further and shows promise.

Also, the overall experience is quite nice, very snappy and good UI features, especially SHIFt + Right-Click in a folder and you can have it open a command prompt from that location.

Running on a 2.0GHz dual-core processor with 2GB RAM (notebook) and runs nicely, even with Aero features on. I've heard it even runs well on P4 with enough RAM, and on some netbooks.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    i never found out if windows 7 required a cd key caused it asked for one at install? Is there anyway to get it to last longer then 30 days without a reload?
  • Options
    toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    where do I get windows 7 beta from?? I've looked the microsoft website but I dont find it for download.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    toteman85 wrote: »
    where do I get windows 7 beta from?? I've looked the microsoft website but I dont find it for download.

Download the Windows 7 Beta
  • Options
    nmerrigannmerrigan Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□

Usually with any of these exams they are out about 6 months after the product goes RTM .. based on previous timelines with similar products.

So you wil have plenty of time. At this stage, I dont think it has hit the design phase as the product is in Beta and liable to change before shipping
  • Options
    gomcse2002gomcse2002 Member Posts: 126 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Please kindly check out details at
    Beta Exam Announcements : Register for Beta Exam 71-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring

Good luck to all IT pros who are going to 71-680 beta exam for Windows 7.
    eBay Addict and IT Geek from Canada

Working on : 70-686 (Windows 7 Exam)
  • Options
    gandalphgandalph Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

the upgrade exam is the 70-685 and is expected to be released very shortly (dates I had heard was september but not sure if this is right)

The Windows 7 OS exam will be the 70-680
    obesa cantavit

certs: MCITP (7 and Vista),MCTS,MCSE,MCSA,MCDST,CCAI,A+,Network+,Server+
  • Options
    gandalphgandalph Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    70-680 exam was made public from June 1st

for more info go here

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-680&locale=en-us
    obesa cantavit

certs: MCITP (7 and Vista),MCTS,MCSE,MCSA,MCDST,CCAI,A+,Network+,Server+
  • Options
    littlehoopslittlehoops Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gandalph wrote: »
    the upgrade exam is the 70-685 and is expected to be released very shortly (dates I had heard was september but not sure if this is right)

The Windows 7 OS exam will be the 70-680

The upgrade exam from MCDST is 70-682

680 + 685 will be the equivalent of 682

70-680, TS: Windows 7, Configuring—available now
    70-685, MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician—in development
    70-686, MCITP: Windows 7, Desktop Administrator—no indication of a date

(ignore the HDI component for the time being)
    Both%20Charts.jpg

And here's the answer to my question on borntolearn about when the 682 would be available (and if there was a beta version to get for free icon_redface.gif)
    70-682 is an upgrade exam so it is created from parts of the exam track. Because the content will have already gone through beta by that point, there isn’t a psychometric need to beta upgrade exams.

Once we’ve finished with 685 and determine which bits are used in 682 we can get the prep guide posted. Generally upgrade exams come out roughly 90 days after their component exams have been published.
    Posted by: J. Seymour [Certification Manager, Microsoft Learning] |
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later