Options

need router to track users activities

mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
hi all
my boss is interested in how much time they are spending on the Internet, what websites they have visited or the webpages they are surfing and if they are downloading materials , what kind of router do all this things ?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out Websense. There's probably others; maybe someone else will chime in with them.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Per dynamik's suggestion... routers don't audit like that. You'll end up going with an application... we use SurfControl.

In a nutshell, we've placed a server inline between our core and the pix that leads to the internet... very much like an IPS. Not only does it log absolutely everything that users do through it, but if a site matches the policy, the users webbrowser shows a surf-control warning. Very slick. Very annoying to our userbase.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    proxy server is your friend......

Microsoft ISA
    WebMarshal
    Squid

Many out there.... does exactly what you want....

Cisco switches could enable SPAN or RSPAN but that's just creating duplicate packets for packet sniffing not really what you are after....

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    _maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
    Check out the SonicWALL Content Security Manager. It has a content filter for websites, does reverse IP lookup on https sites (as the URL string is encrytped using SSL), and is layer 7 application aware so it can stop p2p and IM traffic. If properly confiugred, it is very hard to get by its filtering.

-maurice
  • Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally like the Blue Coat Proxy SG products, they are worth it. You can do transparent filtering, automatic site ratings based on the database or real time ratings, AND SSL proxy that will be able to look into the SSL packets apply the policy to the packets based on the contenet, very cool.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    +1 for Websense
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don’t like it but Websense is fairly good and can give you massive amounts of control and logging.
    I would advise doing a course before implementing it though as you can really ba11s it up if not implemented correctly from the word GO!!!
    With the right implementation you can cover laptop users with the remote policy agent that functions even if your web facing server is down.
    The system can be implemented without using proxy settings having to be set. However it is not cheap "but at the end of the day you get what you pay for" also you will need a server to run it on 4GB of ram is recommended fr reporting.
    If you don’t require the max amount of control but would like anti greyware anti spyware and AV scanning with policy, logging in a single site deployment I would highly recommend Barracuda products they can tie into AD and with the new firmware image give good reporting. And there support is great!

J
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not sure what any of this has to do with the CCNP

Could a mod move it to either CCNA Security or some software forum?

Sorry, just my 2¢
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Not sure what any of this has to do with the CCNP
    642-825 ISCW Implementing Secure Converged Wide Area Networks

Figuring out what users are doing usually comes up when you discuss the Accounting part of AAA.
    Describe, configure, and verify AAA for Cisco Routers.

Figuring out which users are running P2P apps using port 80 also comes up as part of firewalls.
    Describe the functions and operations of Cisco IOS Firewall (e.g., Stateful Firewall, CBAC, etc.).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good points Mike, but the thread seems to be all about third party Windows apps

Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox and we'll see if this thread thrives here

Have fun kids

;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Good points Mike, but the thread seems to be all about third party Windows apps;)
    Yeah -- but even in the CCSP Forum that would be the answer. icon_lol.gif

But if we were in the CCSP forum then we could also talk about the actual configuration to support Websence.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!