Options

Hi guys!

PentekontPentekont Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

As I'm new here I would like to say Hello and ask a question :)

I passed 70-620 and A+ Essentials a few days ago and I'm not sure what should be my next step. I never worked in IT but I've been using pc since I was a child, recently I decided to do a few certifications so I can find a job in IT (I would like to teach IT in a few years).

I thought about doing A+ 220-602 and I don't know if it would be better for me to do 70-622 (I know that I can pass it but I don't have any enterprise experience so it might look a bit strange) or 70-270 followed by 70-271 and 70-272.

Another thing is that I've got a few computers and I use them as a test lab, I installed Server 2003 so I can study for the Server exams but I'm afraid that even if I pass them I won't be able to find a job without any work experience.

I would appreciate any help and guidance!

Kind regards

Robert

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Biggest thing right now is to get yourself some experience. Start looking for entry level jobs such as help desk or desktop support while you finish off that A+. The 622 for your MCITP would be a good idea as well. Don't wait on learning the server side of things though. Getting Active Directory experience will really help you plus you will be paving your path for moving up from the entry level. But first things first, go after those entry level jobs with a vengeance.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Take the 602 and knock out the A+. If you take the MS 70-271 and 272 you will have your MCDST and will not need the 270. You can then take the Vista upgrade and have your MCTS.

Definately look for an entry level job somewhere as every bit of experience will only help in the long run.

Good luck and welcome!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    rfult001 wrote: »
    Take the 602 and knock out the A+. If you take the MS 70-271 and 272 you will have your MCDST and will not need the 270. You can then take the Vista upgrade and have your MCTS.

Definately look for an entry level job somewhere as every bit of experience will only help in the long run.

Good luck and welcome!
    he's actually already got the MCTS title with just the 620. Did you mean MCITP?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Oops! Didn't catch that. I don't know if they are still handing out the MCITP with the upgrade. ?icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Any experience you can get is a big plus. Entry level job for sure, but don't be afraid to try for a desktop support position if one comes open near you.

Also you can try volunteering at a local church, non profit, etc. Until you get that first job this will help with the resume.

Good luck!!
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dont' pass them too quickly or you'll look like your a paper tiger.

A+ >> MSDST >> CCENT >> CCNA >> MCSA is pretty standard path.

Experiencewise I went Geek Squad >> Help Desk >> Application Admin >> System admin
    -Daniel
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum!
    I would do the 220-602 next. The IT Technician is the most well-rounded A+. You could then follow up with the MCDST ( 271 and 272). The 270 is very similar to the 271...I think whole paragraphs MS just pasted in.
    You will definitely need some experience to teach IT, even if you have been playing with PCs for years.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    If you're looking to teach then you might want to look down the MCSA -> MCSE -> Comptia CTT+. That could well take you a couple of years to get through. Your 70-620 will also count towards your MCSA which is a bonus. From there you'd be able to apply for MCT status.

From personal experience I'd say be wary of getting stuck in a career path you don't want. It can be very easy to get railroaded into being a server tech if you're looking to getting into management and it can leave you stuck between two worlds.