bypass encrypted Hard Drive

waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
Hi There,

I have a lenovo x60 with an encrypted hard drive. Im completely locked out. None of the recovery features are working. I tried preinstallation environment boot disks and they dont allow me to view the contents of the local drive. I was wondering if there is any software out there that i can either decrypt or bypass the encryption of the hardrive. I would really need some advice.
when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How was the drive encrypted?

It likely doesn't matter though. Unlike what the movies would have people believe, it is near impossible to break modern encryption.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    What is encrupting the drive? PointSec Perhaps?

If you can't get an admin account with a password; and perhaps even a second admin account and password is some cases I think you might be up the creek!!!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I re-read your post and I'm guessing that you have a hard drive that does encryption itself, I've never used one of those, but I can pretty much guarantee you that if that password or encryption key is gone, so is whatever was on that drive.
  • waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    yup, i feel i'm SOL, who ever own it. no biggy is not mine anyway. Thanks a bunch
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    waltdee wrote: »
    Hi There,

I have a lenovo x60 with an encrypted hard drive. Im completely locked out. None of the recovery features are working. I tried preinstallation environment boot disks and they dont allow me to view the contents of the local drive. I was wondering if there is any software out there that i can either decrypt or bypass the encryption of the hardrive. I would really need some advice.

Does your PE boot disks have the drivers for the encryption software?

Does your PE recovery disk require you to set the boot order to HDD first, CD second? In some cases, this allows encryption authentication, then access to the PE disk boot?

If your issue is encryption authentication, and not with the OS itself, then I have no solutions to offer. Sorry.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    What are you trying to do with this HD? Just read the contents or do you want to install another OS onto it?

You can put a new OS on it, just wipe it and do a reinstall.

We started using Encryption earlier this year and it is for sure a Pain in the AR$E to work with sometimes. Espcecially when it comes to booting with live distros to get access to files on the encrypted volume and making images.