Options

The Exam...Prep, Results, and Thoughts

AutoBahn81AutoBahn81 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Preparation:

Prior experience - 5 years
Cisco Press CCNA Security Offical Cert Guide
CCNA Security Quick Reference Guide (Cisco Press)
GNS3
CBT Nuggets

Score:

PASS - 855

Thoughts:

This test was different because I felt that each of my resources helped me tremendously in my preparation. At first reaction I thought "man, I would have failed if it weren't for the CBT Nuggets". Then I thought the same thing about GNS3, then about the Cert Guide, and so on. I will say that the CBT Nuggets are AWESOME and so is GNS3. I wouldn't say that you need either to pass but I will say that if you have virtually no real experience then you need some sort of real practice on the exam objectives or you will fail (think about the CCNA and how you would have done if you couldn't subnet in your head). I can say that I think I would have passed due to my prior experience but if I didn't have that, I would have definitely failed without the CBT Nuggets and/or GNS3.

Overall I felt it was a really good test, with the exception of maybe three questions that were total "bloopers" (for lack of a better term). I did take the time to leave comments on those. I finished with about 20 minutes remaining.

One more thing, it's true what everyone is saying...the CCNA 640-802 really was more difficult.

Best of luck to all pursuing this cert!
BIT - Network Administration
MBA - IT Management

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

I haven't really looked into this yet. Is there any work with switches or is it all routing?
  • Options
    Both. I also wanted to add that reading the exam topics carefully and studying based on them helped a great deal. It enabled me to focus my efforts on certain areas more than others. Obviously, it paid off.
    MBA - IT Management
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok, I thought there would be; it just noticed you didn't have anything for switching in your list of resources. Did you also use real equipment?
  • Options
    Not in the last month because I have been away from work (CA) and in AZ for a family emergency. Then again, I didn't start studying hard until about three weeks ago.
    MBA - IT Management
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Nice summary!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Congrats on the pass I am starting to study for this certification I took the SND exam almost 2 years ago and need to re-certify
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    What did you think of the Cisco Press Security book? I've read it and found it very tedious and quite badly written in places.

The CBT Nuggets material was fantastic as always.
  • Options
    BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, however it scares me to read this seeing as I am sitting CCNA(802) in March with no experience and you had five years behind you and said CCNA was harder.
  • Options
    vivek2727vivek2727 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the "Ultimate CCNA Security Study package" by Chris Bryant. For those that are interested, this is an excellent resource and it is quite cheap at $67, I think.

I got the ebook version and got the CBT nuggets too by Jeremy Cioara.

Both are great resources. I'll be taking my exam on Friday, Feb 6th 2009 :).

If I pass, I plan to immediately start studying for the SNRS as Jeremy mentioned in one of his nuggets that there is some overlap between CCNA Security and SNRS.
  • Options
    The Cisco Press book for this exam was not bad in my opinion. I definitely recommend GNS3 and/or CBT Nuggets as well though. I think this is a very passable test for someone with no experience. I think it should be more challenging.
    MBA - IT Management
  • Options
    vivek2727vivek2727 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah .. Just passed the CCNA Security exam today . Score was between 900-945 .

Was not too difficult.

Already started reading SNRS now and hopefully will go for the SNAF and SNAA (elective) .
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you both! :) I may find myself studying these soon, depends on what work says.