W2K3 Shut Down thru Power Button

amart83amart83 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone else have a problem that your W2K3 server won't shut down by using the Power Button? I've tried disabling the Shut Down Report feature and have modified the registry key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" D-Word "shutdownwithoutlogon" but to no avail.

The server runs fine other than that and the Device Manager shows no conflicting or driver issues.

In the Control Panel > Power Options, the setting for "When I press the power button on my computer" is set to Shut Down.

ACPI is enabled through the BIOS but, if this isn't a common problem, then I'm going to hookup a keyboard and monitor to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for drivers and BIOS updates.
Career path: Working on upgrading to MCSA2K3 then MSCE2K3 > CCENT > CCNA

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    what's the value of the d-word? If it's 0 (the default), then that feature is turned off...you have to change the value to 1 in order to turn it on to allow for shutdown via the power button.

Why do you want to do this by the way? This is a pretty big security risk, no? Or is your server tucked away where the average user can't walk on by and accidentally (or on purpose!) turn off the server with a single push?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • amart83amart83 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    what's the value of the d-word? If it's 0 (the default), then that feature is turned off...you have to change the value to 1 in order to turn it on to allow for shutdown via the power button.
    The value is set to 1

Why do you want to do this by the way? This is a pretty big security risk, no? Or is your server tucked away where the average user can't walk on by and accidentally (or on purpose!) turn off the server with a single push?
    It's actually a home lab that I use for testing purposes.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    hrm. I did find one reference to another tweak that had to be made in order to allow for shutdown without log on here. Not sure if that's an alternative to the registry edit or an addition to it though...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • amart83amart83 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hrm. I did find one reference to another tweak that had to be made in order to allow for shutdown without log on here. Not sure if that's an alternative to the registry edit or an addition to it though...
    I think it is the GP alternative.

After looking through some of the Group Policies I found that the "Remove Boot / Shutdown / Logon / Logoff status message" was set to to "Disabled". I set it to "Enabled" and now the server shuts down thru the power button.

Thank you for your time and help, Skrpune!