Options

Consulting for the big Bucks

Well, I get to talk about my meeting the other day. Then, it's off to studying for .NET 3.5. So, the other day, I was invited out to lunch by the owner of a training company who wanted me to take over all of their programming training.

I walked into the owner's building and discovered that he was the 2008 Microsoft Exchange Trainer of the Year! He was 61 years old and had a wonderful intellect. I was deeply impressed, and I could tell that this man could teach.

We sat down at lunch and spoke for a couple of hours. And he asked me if I would be interested in working in consulting for him. He said that the pay is generally around $1000 a day, and consulting is usually nice because you make loads of money really fast. But you also go through dry spells where you will not have a client.

So, for example, you might take on a client for a month, make a quick 25K and then have no work for 3 months.

Fortunately, for programmers, there is plenty of work right now. A good programmer can easily find plenty of consulting work.

I gave it some thought, but I've decided to turn it down.. This may sound strange, but my plate is full right now. Between finishing up a third degree, starting another Master's degree, continuing to get these certifications, and doing some volunteer programming, I just don't have time.

Plus, I enjoy the time off that comes from teaching. I like getting a vacation every month! Who wouldn't?

But what I wanted to pass on for some of you who are getting certified is that training is an excellent pathway to consulting. You meet tons of companies because you are teaching and these are usually companies with lots of money. I've made some incredible contacts since teaching.

It wouldn't be a bad decision to add consulting on to book writing or teaching or something else.
I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This isn't consulting. It's contracting.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    royal wrote: »
    This isn't consulting. It's contracting.

Contracting is a bad word... unless one is teaching.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Royal is correct. Consultants will contract (in the sense that they are hired to perform a specific task/project), but contractors don't usually consult. :)
  • Options
    MidLiveUpgradeMidLiveUpgrade Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For years I worked for Sierra Consultants; even though we were called consultants, we really were just contract programmers.

My Current Goal is to finish the MCPD along with the Canadian Securities Course. Then to earn income I want day trade in the morning and do independent programming contract in the afternoon/evening (I live on the West Coast, so the markets are open at 6:30am here).

The area I want to target for programming work is in finance, which is why I am taking the CSC. The day trading part I have been doing for years and up until this year averaged an extra $75K a year

That is the goal anyways, after working 25 years in IT and pretty much of done it all from I want to focus on the two things I like most, which is trading stocks and writing software.

I just wrote (passed) the first CSC exam and am now focused on the 70-536 exam, which I hope to write by the end of February.

Question; is 6 weeks enough time to prepare for the exam?

Thanks,
    Dave.
  • Options
    nmerrigannmerrigan Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    6 Weeks, it can be done of course, but it depends on your experience with .NET and also your work rate through the relevant material.

Depending on the amount of time you can dedicate to the study and practice of key concepts you could probably do it.

I have a post on how to prepare for this exam which might help.

Like everything, one persons definition of hard is anothers walk in the park
  • Options
    MidLiveUpgradeMidLiveUpgrade Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nmerrigan wrote: »
    6 Weeks, it can be done of course, but it depends on your experience with .NET and also your work rate through the relevant material.

Depending on the amount of time you can dedicate to the study and practice of key concepts you could probably do it.

I have a post on how to prepare for this exam which might help.

Like everything, one persons definition of hard is anothers walk in the park

I have been working with .net since 2003, not full time though.

I plan on spending about 4 to 6 hours a day.

Thanks for the link to the exam prep link, looks like some good tips and links.

Dave.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    For years I worked for Sierra Consultants; even though we were called consultants, we really were just contract programmers.

My Current Goal is to finish the MCPD along with the Canadian Securities Course. Then to earn income I want day trade in the morning and do independent programming contract in the afternoon/evening (I live on the West Coast, so the markets are open at 6:30am here).

The area I want to target for programming work is in finance, which is why I am taking the CSC. The day trading part I have been doing for years and up until this year averaged an extra $75K a year

That is the goal anyways, after working 25 years in IT and pretty much of done it all from I want to focus on the two things I like most, which is trading stocks and writing software.

I just wrote (passed) the first CSC exam and am now focused on the 70-536 exam, which I hope to write by the end of February.

Question; is 6 weeks enough time to prepare for the exam?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Finance is certainly where the money is at and it will always be where the money is at. Even in a bear market, the financial jobs are still the best paying. The whole reason why I'm adding a fourth degree to the mix is so that I can charge big brokerage firms lots of money (don't worry, they have it).

One of my professors charged $500 an hour to come up with financial solultions as a consultant.

Anyway, that's my gut feeling on 'consulting.' Most consultants that I see are just contractors.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    MCPWannabe wrote: »
    Most consultants that I see are just contractors.
    Consultants are a type of contractor, just as secretaries, programmers, painters, and lawyers can be.
  • Options
    nmerrigannmerrigan Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been working with .net since 2003, not full time though.

I plan on spending about 4 to 6 hours a day.

Thanks for the link to the exam prep link, looks like some good tips and links.

Dave.

You should be ok as you are probably familar with most of the base concepts. Considering that 536 deals with most of the stuff that resides in the System namespace and also base objects of .NET it is a good idea to follow a study plan or book so that you can get through them

Download the exam matrix from the exam landing page here its the skills being measured page. From there make sure you are familiar with each topic it goes through and you should be ok.

4-6 hours is a lot if you have the experience. Do make sure to follow the advice of doing a practice exam first so that you have a real gauge of where you are starting from. This will help you to start your studying better. Once you have completed a decent portion of your study, try the exam again and check your progression.

If you are getting over the 90% mark start booking the exam as it will focus you because you will have a date to work to!

Best of luck