Options

CCIE verbal interview

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
I came across this and thought it was worth sharing.

Cisco mulls adding verbal interview to CCIE exams | NetworkWorld.com Community
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I read this on slashdot earlier today... pretty good idea if you ask me. I doubt they will be too harsh, it will just weed out the very obvious people icon_thumright.gif.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the prespective of a person who already has the CCIE, anything they do to make it more difficult is good with me icon_cheers.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    a543047a543047 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good idea. I'm not surprised that they are starting with China...
    CCIE #22769
    Routing and Switching
    Service Provider
  • Options
    a543047a543047 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm also willing to bet that the purpose of the questions being anti-**** secondary as a PR move. Depending on what time of day you call TAC, you cannot understand them either. So the saying that the questions gauge how clearly the CCIE candidates can verbally describe technical issues seems to be a load of poo.
    CCIE #22769
    Routing and Switching
    Service Provider
  • Options
    vivek2727vivek2727 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Effective February 1, 2009, Cisco will introduce a new type of question format to CCIE Routing and Switching lab exams. In addition to the live configuration scenarios, candidates will be asked a series of four or five open-ended questions, drawn from a pool of questions based on the material covered on the lab blueprint. No new topics are being added. The exams are not been increased in difficulty and the well-prepared candidate should have no trouble answering the questions. The length of the exam will remain eight hours. Candidates will need to achieve a passing score on both the open-ended questions and the lab portion in order to pass the lab and become certified. Other CCIE tracks will change over the next year, with exact dates announced in advance.

Effective February 17th, 2009, candidates will also see two other changes in CCIE written exams. First, candidates will now be required to answer each question before moving on to the next question; candidates will no longer be allowed to skip a question and come back to it at a later time. Second, there will be an update to the score report. The overall exam score and the exam passing score will now be reported as a scaled score, on a scale from 300-1000. This change will not affect the difficulty of the current set of exams and will assure CCIE written exams will be consistent with Cisco’s other career certification exams.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting changes for the CCIE... If you can pass the lab I would hope you can pass the verbal. That being said, it would emensely suck to pass the written and the lab and be shot down by some verbal questions.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Interesting changes for the CCIE... If you can pass the lab I would hope you can pass the verbal. That being said, it would immensely suck to pass the written and the lab and be shot down by some verbal questions.

Only cheaters will fail.

Ernest
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it will also affect people who attempt to brute force the lab by memorizing lab workbook tasks to pass the lab.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    vivek2727 wrote: »
    ...The exams are not been increased in difficulty...

Okay petty I know, but since one of the aims of having the interview in English is to test communication skills you'd think whoever wrote the announcement would have checked their grammar ;)

Overall I think it will be a good thing so long as they don't cut corners and use interviewers who are not CCIEs themselves, working from an answer sheet it will be much harder for them to understand if a convoluted but correct reply (or one using an alternate solution) should pass or not.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?