Options

Hardest of the 3 MCITP:SA

KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm studying on my own for the new MCITP:SA. My company is willing to to pay for 1 or possibly 2 boot camps, depending how things go. Which one would you guys recommend me using it on? The first MS cert I have gotten was a few days ago when I passed my 70-620. I plan on studying and testing in order. 70-640, 70-642, 70-646.

My knowledge of Server 2003 and 2008 is limited. I've used 2000, XP and Vista extensively. I will be building a box this week to run sims, virtual PCs and VM sessions for training.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Though I havent done any tests from the MCITP track, I think I can safely say you get decent server knowledge before plunging into the MCITP track. Maybe pass the 290 and 291 so you have a fair idea of the server side of things. But perhaps in a bootcamp, they might teach you everything from scratch. Still, it wouldnt hurt to atleast do the 290, IMO.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If they're sending you to only one camp then the 646 would probably be the most all inclusive one. If you get two then grab the 640 as well. Definitely start hitting the labs as soon as you can though if you have limited server knowledge. Look at some of the older topics of the 291 for DNS and DHCP and get those learned well. That will make your ride a whole lot smoother if you have a complete understanding of those basic subjects.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much experience do you have working with Windows Server? If you have little to none, then a bootcamp may not be the right choice for you. Most of the ones that I've heard about from co-workers and peers have either been geared toward cramming for an exam or toward experienced professionals needing to update their skills quickly.

b
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    How much experience do you have working with Windows Server? If you have little to none, then a bootcamp may not be the right choice for you. Most of the ones that I've heard about from co-workers and peers have either been geared toward cramming for an exam or toward experienced professionals needing to update their skills quickly.

b

Cramming by somehow Microsoft approved braindumps...

People with 0 Windows 2008 experience can pass the :EA through bootcampdumps.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My server knowledge is limited. I know the basics.

I will have a look at 290 and 291.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    The 290 and the 291 have a lot of very good information. I have books for both, well worth the investment to go over them.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thus far I've only finished preparing for the 70-640 test and am most of the way through my preparation for the 70-642 test and without a doubt the toughest of the two for me is 70-640. It looks like all the newest and newer technologies get lumped into 70-640 and most of what you'll see in 70-642 has been common place for sometime.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did look up the 620 book at the bootstore and seem to me. It will be another exams that took time to read and understand the materials... There are always one that is being difficult.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn