Vista or Exchange for MCSA

Hey,

I'm at a bit of a conundrum on which exam I should take to finish my MCSA. Realistically i've spent a lot more time on exchange 2003 than on Vista but I susect that the Exchange exam will have a lot of stuf that I've never actually used such as failover clustering.

The vista exam I hear is pretty simple but I've barely used vista.

I'd probably get the Exchange one at somepoint because I'd also like to go on with the 2007 Exchange exams as well, but it would be nice to get the MCSA as quickly as possible.

Cheers

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally think that you should study and take whatever technology you are going to use and let the Certification be a side effect of your studying and passing the test.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you planing on going the MCITP: EA route when you finish? If so then the Vista exam will cover your client OS requirement however if you have no plans for that then I would stick to what you know and use more often.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    tenrou wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm at a bit of a conundrum on which exam I should take to finish my MCSA. Realistically i've spent a lot more time on exchange 2003 than on Vista but I susect that the Exchange exam will have a lot of stuf that I've never actually used such as failover clustering.

The vista exam I hear is pretty simple but I've barely used vista.

I'd probably get the Exchange one at somepoint because I'd also like to go on with the 2007 Exchange exams as well, but it would be nice to get the MCSA as quickly as possible.

Cheers

Get the Exchange one. It's better for your career to have skill validation in an enterprise level app.
    Good luck to all!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The fact of the matter is that you'll be studying things for both exams, (and almost all future ones,) that you'll never use. (*Cough*RRAS*Cough*) Go with what you're interested in, what you think will help your career the most, and what you feel will be worth your time. If you plan on working with Exchange 2003 more in the future, go for that. If you plan on moving on to Exchange 2007, the 2003 exam might not be such a good investment of your time. As mentioned, if you're planning on moving forward to the MCITP Enterprise Administrator at some point, you'll need the Vista exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm probably going to try and knock out 291 then my ccna. I'll come back to it in a few months.

Also just as a fun tidbit I use RRAS between 3 sites in my current position. i didn't implient it but I do have to support it.