Options

I'm sitting in VI3 I&C class

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
This class is great. I'll post more about my experiences later, but I'm excited about this class. First time I've been able to say that about training in a long time. These VMWare official instructors really know their stuff, I can tell their standards for instructional quality are very high.
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice! I really enjoyed my class as well.

Have you set a date for the exam? I'm thinking about next Monday for mine, but I might push it back a week or two. We'll see how much review I can get in this week.

Also, the Exam Cram book is fantastic. It does an excellent job of condensing the exam material into a couple hundred pages, and the practice exams are great.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Nice! I really enjoyed my class as well.

Have you set a date for the exam? I'm thinking about next Monday for mine, but I might push it back a week or two. We'll see how much review I can get in this week.

Also, the Exam Cram book is fantastic. It does an excellent job of condensing the exam material into a couple hundred pages, and the practice exams are great.

Based on some discussion with the instructor, I think I'll shoot for late February. I might be able to go sooner; I'll do the class, go over the requisite VMWare guides and docs, deploy a new ESX server to our West Coast warehouse using some of the practices from class, then take the practice test from the VMWare web site and see how prepared I am.

I'm already behind my goals for certs this year. I was hoping to have MCITP Messaging done by now, but due to the West Coast project mentioned above I won't even have a window of time to take those tests this month, much less have time to do my last-second study routine for them.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you happen to get Jerry Davis as your instructor? He taught my class back in September 2008 and did a good job.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    This guy is Bill something.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    VMware has very high standards for their instructors and if it is an official course (taught by VMware and not a partner like HP) those instructors are able to focus solely on understanding the product; unlike your normal instructor who may teach 10 x Microsoft courses, 3 x Citrix courses and a handful of others, thereby preventing them from becoming true "experts" at any of them.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470

I too am enjoying this book, a few extras that I must have missed elsewhere.

I am looking to the 26th at the moment and trying to work hard towards this date. If anyone has any extra tips they willing to share I am all ears icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It seems to be a tradition now that everybody posts to the forums whilst in their VMware course :)
  • Options
    I've got that vmreference card on a poster in my cubicle.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, their mock exam is pretty good. I just started playing around with it. It only allows you to do 20 questions at a time, but they're obviously drawn from a much larger pool since I've gotten new questions in all my attempts so far.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470

Yes, I grabbed these when you suggested them in an earlier thread.

I have just been having a good look at the VI3 Reference Card for the first time. It seems to cover most of the additional reading material in an easy to ready format icon_cool.gif

I thank you once again for these links.
    Also, their mock exam is pretty good. I just started playing around with it. It only allows you to do 20 questions at a time, but they're obviously drawn from a much larger pool since I've gotten new questions in all my attempts so far.

I wonder if they have improved this then, there were only limited questions when we looked at it whilst on the I&C course, I have to check these out again.
  • Options
    All this networking stuff we're doing today is making me want to go back and get back to a level of competency with switching and routing. One more thing to add to the list this year.

I'm getting that self-study/certification itch again like I haven't seen in maybe 5 years. Once I'm motivated, I'm very dangerous. My rediscovered obsession is probably going to keep me up working on all of this for many, many late nights.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The pool of practice questions on the VMware site was very small when I went through it several months ago, but they did do a good job of introducing me to the VMware style of questions.

I, too, have the vmreference.com card hanging in my cubicle. If you're taking the VCP exam, this is highly recommended (and free!).
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.