Options

price of 6500's ??

laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
ok spotted this on ebay :-
Cisco CAT WS-C6509 6509 + PSUs + Cards 6500 on eBay, also Cisco, Wired Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 19-Jan-09 11:59:43 GMT)

and wondered what the going rate for these are ??

and any watch points ??
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The price depends on what chassis, what PSUs, what fan tray, what supervisor and what cards are in there if any.

Any particular reason why you want a chassis based switch?
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sup1A....yikes.

what wattage are the PSUs? What do you plan on running off a 6509?
  • Options
    i was just browsing through cisco stuff on ebay n came across it

i doubt id buy but kinda wondered if it would be worth it and fancied adding it to my lab lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i was just browsing through cisco stuff on ebay n came across it

i doubt id buy but kinda wondered if it would be worth it and fancied adding it to my lab lol

yikes, even with crap blades and sup it won't be cheap. labwise you shouldn't need more than a 3550 or 3560 in my opinion. the few things those multi-layer switches can't do won't justify the cost of such a large piece of a equipment, especially if you have to end up running power for it. it'll keep a room nice and warm though in the winter......lol.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are pulling out tons of the old 6500 chassis switches and replacing them with the new E series switches. Cisco is buying back the old ones, whould be nice to have a few for the lab (especially the ones with the FWSM and IDSM-2 blades)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At one point I owned a pair of 7206vxr's and they were impractical. I can only imagine what it's like labbing with a freakin 6509 chassis. They're as big as a mini fridge.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Buy it now £400?

3550's are not much cheaper than that on Ebay (UK) - and that's an SMI image!

Cisco WS-C3550-48-SMI Switch CCNA CCNP CCIE LAB 3550 on eBay, also Cisco, Wired Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 18-Jan-09 13:51:47 GMT)

I find the 3550's are totally over priced on Ebay UK compared to Ebay.com (US) which is why I've not even entertained buying one for when I start the BCMSN......yet
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    malcybood wrote: »
    Buy it now £400?

3550's are not much cheaper than that on Ebay (UK) - and that's an SMI image!

Cisco WS-C3550-48-SMI Switch CCNA CCNP CCIE LAB 3550 on eBay, also Cisco, Wired Routers, Networking, Computing (end time 18-Jan-09 13:51:47 GMT)

I find the 3550's are totally over priced on Ebay UK compared to Ebay.com (US) which is why I've not even entertained buying one for when I start the BCMSN......yet
    Who cares for £400 all you're getting is the chassis and PS with an ancient supervisor module and some voice blades. Not a lot of use if you ask me, I'm sure someone will buy it just so they can say they have a 6509 in their lab...

On that note I have a client with a VAX 11/780 you're welcome to add to your lab. No charge, you pick it up though.
  • Options
    I didn't say I would buy it.

It was an observation, for the record it's the same seller selling the 3550 and 6500 chassis.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    malcybood wrote: »
    I didn't say I would buy it.
    Oh I know, and I didn't mean to imply you were. My remarks were more directed at the OP.

And the VAX comment was just a joke... I do have a client who would like to get rid of it but the disposal costs are going to be ugly.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    And the VAX comment was just a joke...

I got that lol

I have 2 decommissioned 7206 VXR's sitting at work that I can almost guarantee will sit there "incase we need them" for the next 5 years. Even they're impractical for a home lab, let alone a 6500 IMO especially with Dynagen / GNS 3 available!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I would be more worried about the shipping. A fully loaded 6509....ugh.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Two 3550's with EMI cost me £700..
  • Options
    lol guys as i said i doubt id buy and having considered it for a fraction of a second i know i wont....

i already have a 3750 in my lab but am on the look out for a couple more layer 3 switches t add to it...

i know can do it virtually but i like having the physical kit too icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    imo L3 switches in the UK seem way over priced compared to over the pond! always go for silly money on ebay etc.

Thankfully i have access to a few spare at work which will save me the costs in the short term.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    If you really want to add 6K's to your network, get the Requisition Department to first quote on the new Nexus 7000 line... at almost a million a pop, getting 6K's approved was a breeze.

We just landed a 6504 for our UAT environment, and an 09 for production.

The 04 has two switch modules, the supervisor, and one ACE module... list was about 190K with all the bells and whistles (IOS, ACE licenses and contexts, ANM, Supervisor). Actual through IBM was 90K.

The 09 is awesome... dual sup's, dual ACE's, three switch modules. Again with IOS, ACE contexts and licenses, ANM Server, etc, list was almost 300K... think we snagged it for about $140K.

Sweet sweet ride, them... but ya gotta pay to play.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.