SY0-201 Questions about the exam.

dj29152dj29152 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I am taking my SY0-201 CompTIA Security+ (2008 Edition) Exam end of next month, and i have couple of questions. Please answer them if you dont mind.

1.) How much time is allotted to complete the test? (90 mins?)
2.) How many questions? What form Multiple choice, Short answers, are there questions that have multiple answers? (100 questions?)
3.) If you have taken it, what topic was hard for you?
4.) What study materials? (for the new one).
> I already have Syngress Security+, Security+ Guide to Network Security, CBT Nuggets, and couple practice exams and videos.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I will defer to the above answer for questions one and two. It can't get any more precise than that.

3) I actually found some of the physical security questions harder than the rest. I think it had more to do with me having less experience with those topics and I think I don't think of them as network security as much as building security. That is my bias completely and admittedly the wrong attitude to have. For these reasons, I didn't study this information as much as I could have. I didn't ignore it completely but I was less sure about those answers than the others. I scored a 855 and the physical security was my weakest area.

4)I used Sybex and the Technotes from this site for most of my information. The Syngress book does great to fill in areas that Sybex is weak on (I think cryptology was one of these areas if I remember correctly) and the Transcender practice tests.

Good Luck
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • dj29152dj29152 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alright so i have been reading... and some people say they get scenario questions.... what does that mean? and in what format is the answer suppose to be given in?

o yea ... do you receive the score as soon as you submit it? ... is it a physical paper exam or on the computer?
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    dj29152 wrote: »
    alright so i have been reading... and some people say they get scenario questions.... what does that mean? and in what format is the answer suppose to be given in?

o yea ... do you receive the score as soon as you submit it? ... is it a physical paper exam or on the computer?

If JimBob calls you and every time he hits the button that looks like an e, **** advertisements pops up. What is your first step to help JimBob?

1) Tell JimBob he got the wrong number
    2) Ask JimBob if the women are sexxy
    3) Tell JimBob to not call you again
    4) Tell JimBob to download Spybot Search & Destory

I chose number 2 and got it wrong. icon_sad.gif
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dj29152 wrote: »
    1) do you receive the score as soon as you submit it? ...
    2) is it a physical paper exam or on the computer?

1) Yes, you will receive your score immediately afterward. It will tell you whether you passed or not.
    2) Computer based.

As with all CompTIA exams, they share a certain amount of information overlap between the different areas that they cover. If you don't have any background, you should honestly start from ground zero to build a solid foundation. A+ > Net+ > Server+ > Security+ ... That is, if you are working on CompTIA certifications only. Security+ really is a beast of an exam for CompTIA standards and shouldn't be taken lightly, IMHO.
  • dj29152dj29152 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got it...thanks for all the input. Will comment back later
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    IMHO the most challenging part of Security+ learning all the encryption/hashing algorithms and how long the keys are, and whether they are block or stream, and how many iterations are being made.... ect.

Building security is comes natural for me, I use to be a security guard. So I'm lucky with that part. Another part that is a little sticky for me is the BCP, BIA, and Risk Assessment areas.

But that is just my opinion - we are all different.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    TravR1 has a point. It all depends on you. The areas that he is talking about happens to be the ones I focused on before the test. The physical security questions about fire extinguishers, gates and physical partitions are not the areas I studied. They kind of took me by surprise on the exam. It was my fault. I saw the material in the books but didn't really pay too much attention to them. Luckily I did have some of those on my practice tests otherwise I don't think I would have gone back and looked at that information at all.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember, security + covered all security concept in general. So, everything is covered and protecting your datacenter, procedure to recovery disaster, physical security, wireless and customer service also part of security+.

The question for 201 is much better on wording than the 101.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn