Options

Still in consideration after final interview.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings all,

I've made several posts about an ongoing job opportunity I'm working on. Basically it's a program where you are one of 7 candidates (this time around at least) who are paid to earn their CCNA, CCNA: Voice, CCVP and get hands-on on their lab gear as well as exposure to senior engineers and customer projects to help further establish the training.

I have a friend who works within the organization and I learned today that I am still in consideration after the final interview. They have already filled 6 of 7 spots and the hiring manager is likely to be very very judicious with filling the final spot. I'm curious if anybody has any advice on how to best show my determination for wanting the job without coming off as desperate. I've already sent thank you notes to each of the people involved in my final interview. I planned to call the recruiter tomorrow as he mentioned during the final interview that he hoped to have an answer for me in several days and if not to give him a call if I wanted. My friend on the inside did mention that the hiring manager may take several weeks to make his final choice. Am I best off waiting things out, or do you think I should write something to reiterate my value to the organization and my determination to land this job?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    How long has it been since your last contact? If they said they would contact you within a certain time frame and it has not happen then you are fair game for contacting them. Give them a call or send an e-mail and let them know how eager you are to work for them and reiterate your value and inquire as to whether a decision has been made yet. Keep it short and sweet, don't be pushy, and avoid over-eagerness. If you need to contact them again later on to follow up make sure there is a good amount of time usually a week or so. It is good to be fresh in their mind but bad if you're remembered as pushy.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    My last formal contact was essentially last week Friday which was the final interview. The recruiter is a great guy and did tell me to feel free to give him a call around mid week this week if I haven't heard anything so I think I'll give him a call tomorrow. If he gives me any news like I heard about there being one opening remaining and that I'm still in consideration then maybe I can use that as a reason to shoot an e-mail to the hiring manager to reiterate my interest and reaffirm why I would be a good asset to the company. The only other contact I have made since Friday is just thank you's to each of the the individuals who interviewed me that I sent via e-mail. I think the thank you's went well as I mentioned specifics about the conversations I had with each of the people I interviewed with. I did get a quick reply back from the hiring manager thanking me for the thank you and stating he enjoyed meeting me.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you interview with Tim Green? He's an awesome guy!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royal wrote: »
    Did you interview with Tim Green? He's an awesome guy!

I got to meet an variety of very bright people, Tim included. There was definitely a wealth of experience and knowledge available for me to ask my questions. Even had a chance to speak with one of the CCIE's which was a great experience being able to sit across from somebody who has achieved what I someday want to pursue when I am ready. I agree though, Tim is a great guy, everybody was - they all wanted to ensure that any questions about any aspect of the opportunity that I might have had were answered as best they could.
  • Options
    Speaking of CCIEs, we have a TON of CCIEs. So you'll definitely be around a lot of very intelligent guys if you get the job. What's your interest in? Routing and Switching or Voice? I believe they want the CVA's to go into voice IIRC.
  • Options
    What a day. Ended up coming home to bring lunch to my wife since she's spent the day with our sick 18 month old. Already had a bad morning dealing with issues around work after having a couple of nights with practically no sleep since the kid's been sick, but half way through lunch I get a new e-mail so I check it and it was the company I applied at. They ended up that the final position went to another candidate.

I still had good feedback, and an offer to reapply for future positions when they begin to start this program again. Unfortunately with the economy being the way it is it's unaware of how long away that may be. I guess I'm going to stick things out where I'm currently at and keep pursuing certifications through the Cisco voice track to give me an edge over other candidates should the program be offered again. I only hope things don't take another spin downward at my current employer since they've been hinting at finding out what else the IT department can eliminate when we already work off an incredibly slim budget. Unfortunately many of the jobs around here are short to medium term contract jobs, not something I really care to get into at this point in my career.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    sorry to hear that the job went to someone else, but at least you got some good feedback & finally know what's up with that one and can put your efforts towards other things now. I tend to not be a huge fan of short/medium term contract jobs either...seems like that's all there is out there right now, at least in my area, and they tend to be less attractive jobs with less attractive (i.e., piddly) pay in less attractive/far areas.

Good luck with the job search, and hope your little one is feeling better soon.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Sorry to hear man. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll get one soon :) your on the right track...
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'm going to keep my options open. The main thing frustrating about my current job is we are spread so thing being 3 of us for 40 locations. Since we handle everything from basic PC repair to server administration and the phones, I've kind of become the jack of all trades, master of none - though I consider myself master of some as I've been working on trying to focus on areas. It's tough though, we get just enough time to more or less get something somewhat working before we are drawn to something else, not a lot of follow through.