Options

CCENT and CCNA

afarmerafarmer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have two questions:

First, is if I get my CCNA do I automatically get the CCENT?

Second, for those who have obtained MCSE, how does the difficulty level of CCNA compare to the MCSE exams?

Thanks to everyone!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    afarmer wrote: »
    I have two questions:

First, is if I get my CCNA do I automatically get the CCENT?

No, you have to pass the ICND1 to get the CCENT. If you just take the combined exam you only get the CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took the one test route in the pre-CCENT days (way way back in 2007)

:)

If I was going for it nowadays, I would go for the two test route. Nothing wrong with getting an extra cert IMO
  • Options
    afarmerafarmer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. Since that is the case, I will go ahead and plan to take them separately.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO The only real reason to take the CCENT is if you want to pace yourself, or to show that you have entry level "fundamental" understanding prior to passing the CCNA. Having the extra letters is not more valuable than having the CCNA only, if you think you can pass the CCNA, there's no reason not to do just the CCNA.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It used to be cheaper to do the combined CCNA only exam but they changed it awhile back.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here would be my approach:

If you're looking for an entry-level job or an internship, the cert should be valuable. It tells folks what you're qualified for.

CCENT - ENT as in entry-level

If you've been in IT a long time, it might not look great on a resume. In that case, just leave it off.

icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I would go for the two test route...that's what I'm doing. I was previously all Microsoft, but now I dabble more into the Cisco realm than MS. I do not believe having the CCENT will hurt you if you are going beyond entry-level work. It's just another way to set yourself apart from the other guy during a resume scan by HR.

I like the two test approach since it is more focused on different levels. It has been fun too!! Like others have said...there is not price difference in taking one exam over two, so why not pick up a couple of certs on the way. Never know...you might be applying for a job that is specifically looking for CCENT because they don't know much about it and you get looked at because of it....who knows icon_lol.gif.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)