BACKUP THE WINDOWS-PARTITION?

ajsieajsie Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

I often have to reinstall my windows xp because it - after a while - runs slower or because it has been infected with some virus or trojans. Its really a hard work to reinstall all my applications and drivers and make the same configuration over and over again.

Some years ago I made a copy of the Windows 98-partition (C:) with Nero, which made it easier for me when reinstalling Windows. I just put in the cd and it made an exact copy to my harddrive, the same as when i backed it up. What it did was that it copied the whole partition, which means it also copied the unused space. That forced me to use a bunch cds. And another problem was that it couldnt copy the partition when Windows was running on it. Because of that I had to remove my harddisk from my local box and place it into another computer which ran windows too. And from there I could make a partition-copy of the harddrive because it didnt use that harddrive when it loaded windows (I hope you understand what I mean).

So my questions are:
1. Is there any program that can make an exact copy of my Windows partition (C:) although I am running windows from it?

2. Is there a program that does NOT copy the unused space?

3. Is there a program that make the backup of a partition in dos mode before windows starts (which then solves the problem mentioned in question 1)?

4. Is it better that the program copy the entire partition to backup the Windows than just copy the files?

5. If it copys my partition does that mean that it cant be used in another harddisk than the origin harddisk where I made the backup from although they both have the same partition size?

NOTICE THAT MY GOAL IS TO MAKE A BACKUP ("AUTO INSTALLATION") CD WHICH MEANS THAT I JUST HAVE TO PUT IN THE CD AND FOR EXAMPLE TYPE IN "RESTORE MY BACKED UP FILES TO (C DRIVE)" AND I CAN JUST START WINDOWS WITH ALL APPLICATIONS AND CONFIGURATIONS INSTALLED AND SET AS LIKE IT WAS BEFORE I MADE THE BACKUP

thx!

Comments