Options

Facebook members?

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just wondering how many of the TE members use Facebook at all. I was never really big into it until my wife started to nag me a bit, so I signed back into my dormant account and messed around a bit. I have to say that aside from some things, there are some halfway decent resources on there. Lots of various groups for various certification studies, security related groups, all sorts of resources. The nice thing from what I've seen too on a few of the Cisco related groups I joined is they seem to be fairly aligned with the no cheating/braindumps and for the most part against piracy too.

I don't like it as much as TE, but it's a nice resource to check from time to time. Part of what helps me learn the best is just browsing threads and if I stumble across something I don't know the answer to, I try to figure it out - this helps add another place to check for new problems to work on.

The only downside I've witnessed thus far.... a select few former classmates who have found me on there.

Here's my profile for any of those interested: Mike Steinhilber - Madison, WI | Facebook

I think I've found the Cisco groups most interesting so far, another one - the Academy Pro which I found through Facebook which has various security related videos posted now and then also.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm on it, and a few members here have "friended" me. However, I don't use it. I'm not big on the whole "social networking" thing. I think that this site and LinkedIn are enough; I don't have time for anything else.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm on it, and a few members here have "friended" me. However, I don't use it. I'm not big on the whole "social networking" thing. I think that this site and LinkedIn are enough; I don't have time for anything else.

Same here - I was almost forced to signup - now I done it - got like 60 friend requets in my inbox and ignore it since :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm a big facebookaholic ! I use it mainly to stay connected with my college friends and old friends. But I de-activated my account because it wasted a lot of time, I need to study icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

that makes 3 of us. My wife gets mad about it, because I discourage it too, but she occasionally uses it. All her friends are 'all up in that facebook', so my ugly mug is posted there many times... icon_rolleyes.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I am on it as well but only to stay in touch with old friends from college and HS.

If anyone is interested you can always send me a message:
    Login | Facebook
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    I have a FB account, but rarely visit it. Search for me on LinkedIn.com and send me an invite.
  • Options
    I've never used LinkedIn before, though I have run across several people who I've looked up online who are using it (mostly people who I've had scheduled interviews with to get some insight into who they are). I'll have to signup and see what it's all about.

I didn't see Facebook as much of a career or learning tool aside from some of the various groups. The big downside to a lot of the groups is they all are much clumsier to navigate through than a typical website designed for sharing knowledge such as a forum, and the frequency of updates is a lot slower than that of a typical site such as TE. I still view it as mostly a friends/family type site, just thought I would point out some of the resources there for those that might not have known.

I do have another annoyance to point out thought about it now... former classmates have also not tracked me down to inform me of an upcoming 10 year reunion. Not sure I'm going to make it to that one... I think I'll go to a 20 or 25 year reunion, whichever they have, to give some of the other classmates some more time to mature a bit since it seems like many of them are still just as rude as they were 10 years ago.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Trust me, you want to use LinkedIn. Tons of recruiters are on there and it's basically how to build contacts in the industry. Anyone you interact with, add them. If you ever lose your job and modify your linked in profile, everyone will see and you have a much better chance of finding a job as it will let everyone you know and have interacted with that you need a job.

LinkedIn is an excellent career tool.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    royal wrote: »
    Trust me, you want to use LinkedIn. Tons of recruiters are on there and it's basically how to build contacts in the industry. Anyone you interact with, add them. If you ever lose your job and modify your linked in profile, everyone will see and you have a much better chance of finding a job as it will let everyone you know and have interacted with that you need a job.

LinkedIn is an excellent career tool.

Sound advice, enough to have convinced me to finally register and start utilizing it. Maybe it will help me move up and out of the job I'm in now if my current prospect doesn't pan out!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    royal wrote: »
    Trust me, you want to use LinkedIn.... LinkedIn is an excellent career tool.

+1icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Uchiha SasukeUchiha Sasuke Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't get it why people is interested with Facebook, I really don't like it :p
    ;)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm on Facebook as well as LinkedIn. I decided to use Facebook as my "social" account and LinkedIn as the "professional stuff", trying not to mix the two too much. I'm all for adding people to my Facebook, and somewhat selective about the LinkedIn, depending on the request. Shoot me a PM if you reeeeeaaaaaaally want to add me on either site. icon_lol.gif

(How's that for an opt-in?)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    So after reading some of the LinkedIn responses in this thread and signing up, I have to say that I am very happy I have done so.

Since my background includes nearly 8 years of retail management in a local computer store where I heavily focused on business to business sales and service I built a pretty good reputation with a lot of people as the go to guy for technology. I have been tracking down many of my contacts from these companies and connecting with them. I'm slowly building a pretty good network of contacts in various IT departments from my former customers and have already had a couple messages stating to use their name if I ever apply for a job within their organization. I'm not sure why I let this site slip by me previously... I had know about it and vaguely known about what it was all about, just never thought to go through with it.

Thanks for the motivation guys :)
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I have been using facebook to post pictures of the Buick that's being restored. Alot of my friends have been curious about it. I think I have put up 100+ pictures from the time I got the car to it's current state. I plan to remove those pictures once it's completed.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FB is more personal and more toward to friendship and buddies that you know... As for me, I try to avoid link up with job.. Just need a domain that is out of IT world... Hahha
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn