Options

Domain Controller/VPN server questions

LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
I have a question for any gurus out there that can help. I would like to set up a Domain for a new company that also requires VPN access from an outside site. The site is not big enough to host a domain controller (only 2 users) so I would like them to VPN to the company network. The company is only willing to spend enough money on for 1 copy of windows server. I know that putting a domain controller in the DMZ is not the best idea in the world (specially since it is going to act as a file server and central back up also), but they don't really understand the security risk even after I've explained it to them. Is it possible to have a domain controller run RRAS as a router and a VPN server? Or if anyone else has any better ideas for this set up I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look into the Linksys VPN router. I heard good things about it.

www.linksys.com
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Run windows without a domain controller and you can still have VPN use windows authentication.

Install your windows server and configure routing and remote services, which is built into your windows 2000 server.

Then add normal user accounts and allow them to have remote access in their user accounts settings.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You could also buy a low budget Cisco PIX vpn router, and use the VPN client....
  • Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    One of our branch offices has a DC (on a seperate domain) acting as a file/print server; VPN and router based RRAS.

It is behind a basic adsl router (provided by ISP) with ports 25 and 1723 opened.

Like sab4you mentioned, grant remote access to desired accouts and you are off. Either that or create a router interface between 2 LANs,
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Even RDP will work on a router....Grant access to a user and have them pushed from a public addy(router) to the private addy..