Options

Weird Vista issue (network shows disconnected)

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I had this issue for a while but now I decided to reinstall my PC and now have the same ..

When the PC boots up the network icon in the systray shows that the network is disconnected even though it isn't (see IP lease in command prompt and can ping just fine).

It takes a minute or so until it finally shows connected and until it does I am unable to open programs and see only the magic hour glass. Once the network shows connected all the programs I tried to open pop up.

Anyone seen this before ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have another NIC you can test? That one might be on its way out. Do things work reliably once it comes up? Are the drivers up to date? Also, make sure you have a least a gig of memory for your graphics card.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Do you have another NIC you can test? That one might be on its way out. Do things work reliably once it comes up?

To be fair I am using onboard :s

Anyway - no, haven't tried a different card and yes, once everything comes up the system is rock solid ..
  • Options
    bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bad cable or bad jack?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have another NIC you can test? That one might be on its way out. Do things work reliably once it comes up? Are the drivers up to date? Also, make sure you have a least a gig of memory for your graphics card.

hehe, bad Dynamik, I sense another Royal like "Whats a 1GB graphics card" being born.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, make sure you have a least a gig of memory for your graphics card.

Ouch... I think that thread is going to cause some stinging sensation for a while...

Anyways... a couple things you could try. Have you ever not had this problem while running Vista? The reason I ask is some older routers have had issues operating correctly with Vista. If you have an older router and have had this problem since you've had Vista then you might want to look into updated firmware for your router if available.

Other thing to maybe test with, see if you have the same issue if you manually assign all of the addresses (IP, gateway, DNS) to your LAN connection. You could also disable IPv6 as well, this was a problem on a workstation on one of our remote office networks that was on an older router that didn't work well with Vista with IPv6 enabled.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It doesn't sound like something with the NIC itself. You wouldn't get the odd issue with not being able to start anything initially if it was.

Have you checked the event log to see if anything unusual is being logged? You should also see what services and programs are set to start at bootup/login.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    I had this issue for a while but now I decided to reinstall my PC and now have the same ..

When the PC boots up the network icon in the systray shows that the network is disconnected even though it isn't (see IP lease in command prompt and can ping just fine).

It takes a minute or so until it finally shows connected and until it does I am unable to open programs and see only the magic hour glass. Once the network shows connected all the programs I tried to open pop up.

Anyone seen this before ?

Now is this a wireless or wired network?

My HP laptop does the same thing when connecting via wireless. Except it shows disconnected for only 10 seconds or so.
  • Options
    This is wired network and cable has been changed.
    Disabling ipv6 is pretty much the first thing I do (Using DisabledComponents FF).

Trouble is, due to my big Raid card I am unable to insert a dedicated NIC and I require WOL as well :/

Eventlog is clean as far as I can see ..
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've run across this before on Vista and Server 2008. Check your services during that time that it is showing the network disconnected, you should see it hanging up on a specific service that is waiting for something. Then just experiment from there to find out why and what you can do about it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I have seen this in vista and in xp, and have never seen answer. I just know that after the user logons they can get to the drive after a few sec.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    undomiel wrote: »
    I've run across this before on Vista and Server 2008. Check your services during that time that it is showing the network disconnected, you should see it hanging up on a specific service that is waiting for something. Then just experiment from there to find out why and what you can do about it.
    I didn't even think of this, but it's a good idea.

Also, what else is in startup that's hogging up resources and perhaps delaying the computer from going through its paces? (Besides Vista itself, of course... icon_wink.gif)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Good idea - trouble is though, until the network is back you cannot really start any programs icon_sad.gif

Gonna try it again though ..

What about the discovery mapper and responder - I have disabled that - maybe this is causing an issue ?

Also I saw that the Computer Browser was set to Automatic but not started - so I disabled that too now .. Lets see how that turns out over the next few days ..