Options

Cable WAN encapsulation

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
What WAN encapsulation does the cable companies use? PPPoE? My little Cisco SOHO has pppoe and pppoe client. What is the client setting for?

My router also has switching ports, when setting these up, is ip address assigned to them the default gateway? The ports are all grouped up into one interface and either of my books or CBT videos explain it very well when dealing with switching ports built into the router. It doesn't have any VLANs settings, which I found odd, but I'm going to update the IOS for it which should help.

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What model router do you have?

Are you asking about the encapsulation between the cable modem and your router or the cable modem and the cable companies equipment? I believe DOCSIS is what's used between the modem and the provider equipment. Usually Ethernet is used between the modem and your router.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    It's a SOHO 91 and it has a IOS like regular Cisco routers do. So the default setting should work fine? How do they handle DHCP from the router to the modem? Would ip dhcp work for it?

I still need to get NAT up and running... so maybe I should get SDM up and running. I think I need to update the IOS from 12.2 to 12.4 since I was reading they used a previous version of SDM to configure it.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I doubt that router can do VLANs, nor can it run SDM (see the list of supported routers here).

"ip address dhcp" should work to grab an IP address from your ISP.