Options

Partition Hard disk

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys I have windows XP Home installed on my computer, I want to create a partition so that I can install XP Pro as I am studying for the MCDST, and Home doesn't include all the features I need.

What is the simplest way to partition a Hard Disk bearing in mind I want to keep my current Home Install, Is there a way to do this through windows?

Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing that's included. You could try something like GParted, and there are commercial options as well. What are your system specs? Why don't you just virtualize it?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you virtualize? I have been searching for a XP Pro Vmware image havent had any luck though
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ally_uk wrote: »
    How do you virtualize? I have been searching for a XP Pro Vmware image havent had any luck though
    You create the image yourself...
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup just install VMWare server, run through the new VM Wizard and point to your CD (or ISO) and it will boot up and install just like a real machine.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VirtualBox might be a little more user-friendly.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Or VirtualPC 2007...

If you're gonna be doing a lot of studying, VMware Workstation might be worth the money though.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    You should have 2-3GB of RAM on your machine and a defraggable disk partition to comfortably run virtualization.

But why not just upgrade your XP Home to XP Pro?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You should have 2-3GB of RAM on your machine and a defraggable disk partition to comfortably run virtualization.

But why not just upgrade your XP Home to XP Pro?

This is what I came into this thread to say.