Good Certs for help desk?

ITguy83ITguy83 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. I currently have a help desk concepts class and the instructor has decided for our class to start a student help desk for the college. I have talked to student that have worked for the student help desk when they took this class and found that they do not get enough machines to keep busy when you are at the help desk. Since this is part of our grade our instructor wants us to figure out things to do while the help desk is not busy that he can grade us on. He said some example of things we could do would be research, creating technical documents, and other things that have to do with help desks. So I was wondering about any certs that would be good for a help desk or any help desk specific certs.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    MCP in Windows XP (70-270), MCTS: Windows Vista Configuration (70-620), A+, Network+...
    Good luck to all!
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    70-270 or you can go the MCDST way. Get your A+ with it as well. I don't think Network+ would come in handy that much. The MCDST courses do touch on networking though.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone has pretty much answered the technical side of the help desk work, but there is also the social interactive aspect of dealing with customers, general logistics, and operations management. You'll want to look into HDI for that. There are no readily available study material from them, those are normally obtained through one of their training courses.

HDI | Leading IT Service & Support

You might be able to attend a Charter meeting in your area to obtain informal information. That shouldn't cost a dime.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mamono wrote: »
    Everyone has pretty much answered the technical side of the help desk work, but there is also the social interactive aspect of dealing with customers, general logistics, and operations management. You'll want to look into HDI for that. There are no readily available study material from them, those are normally obtained through one of their training courses.

HDI | Leading IT Service & Support

You might be able to attend a Charter meeting in your area to obtain informal information. That shouldn't cost a dime.

$225 for the HDI!? icon_eek.gif
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician it requires two exams, 70-620 & 70-622.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    $225 for the HDI!? icon_eek.gif

The course isn't very difficult and neither is the exam, its mostly common sense since they focus on the interpersonal and linguistics side of help desk. Get your employer to pay for it, IMHO.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would hit the A+ IT Technician, then N+, followed by MCDST, you can then update the MCDST with the 621 and get MCITP.
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I think the A+ (any flavor) and the MCDST would pretty much set you up for any help desk environment. You can the the Network + and the MCSA when you are ready to get out in a year or so.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP