Options

need router for small organization

Hi all

we have satellite connection I need a router providing a services firewall/vpn/web filtering/Nat/port forwarding I still could not decide icon_sad.gif any suggest about router

Comments

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Majority of routers, whether SOHO or off-the-shelf, provide all these services. We need more information then that. Is this a financial or security institution? Do you need a CISCO router or just a off-the-shelf router like Linksys or D-link?
  • Options
    mcse_696mcse_696 Member Posts: 151
    right now we have workgroup 25 pc's no firewall using ICS to share the internet , ftp server availible on internet , we bought today server2003 to create domain , I need a router now to solve firewall /vpn/nat/ port forwarding to publish ftp server on internet

I m thinking to plug the router to ftp server and give private ip address ,kind of protect from outside , or I ll plug the router to server2003 , here again I m not sure which solution is better
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't give any machines public IP addresses. Use NAT and port forwarding.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    If you really want to go cheap I'd take an old PC/Server with a few NICs and use IPCop - IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!. You could set it up to do all the internal routing and have a "DMZ" segment for your FTP server that may or may not need access to the internet.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    If you want to go cheap do what shednik suggested. If you just want to throw a box on the network and do a simple setup via web browser then a Cisco SMB RV042 VPN would work.

Newegg.com - Cisco SMB RV042 10/100Mbps VPN Router 1 x 10/100Mbps WAN Ports 4 x 10/100Mbps LAN Ports - Wired Routers

It really depends on what your budget is and what your knowledge / time frame is to get this setup.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    shednik wrote: »
    If you really want to go cheap I'd take an old PC/Server with a few NICs and use IPCop - IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!. You could set it up to do all the internal routing and have a "DMZ" segment for your FTP server that may or may not need access to the internet.

The OP also said he wants web filtering. I use IPCop at my house, and I love it, but without modifying it with additional addons, it won't do web content filtering.

This however will:

Endian -Download Endian Firewall Community
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    The OP also said he wants web filtering. I use IPCop at my house, and I love it, but without modifying it with additional addons, it won't do web content filtering.

This however will:

Endian -Download Endian Firewall Community

That looks interesting I'll have to check it out...I suggested IPCop because of the ease of use plus I think putting your content filter on a separate machine might be better in my opinion....with squid and dan's guardian out there you're looking at your only real costs being hardware.