Options

backup solution

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
what imaging solutions do you use to backup client computers? I'm using norton ghost to backup each client and do a manual restore when needed but what if you need to restore a bunch of client computers? Is there a way to automate restoration?

Can anyone give me an idea how to backup a corporate environment? thanks in advance.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At my old company:

My Documents was mapped to their H:\ (home) Drive

So users saved everything there.
    Usually copied their Desktop folder (C:\Documents & Settings\User\Desktop)
    in their user folder as well to replace their shortcuts afterwards

Symantec Ghost server for deploying images to multiple computers.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Symantec ghost console as fade said is were you select mulitple PC's and deploy to these at the same time, this isnt always a good idea if the network has limited bandwidth although there is a limit that you can set as to how much data is transfered to avoid this

A simple and effective way to restore multiple PC's without using the network bandwidth is to have another partition on each PC and simply restore an image from this partion, all you do is boot up a ghost CD and point to the image on the other partition, job done!!!!!

I am a firm beleiver in re-imaging as often as possible, so many places I have worked in have very very slow machines that a re-image would speed up so much, I personaly re-install my PC at home every couple of months or so and I see a difference every time

Hope that helps

Lee H
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea. Are all the computers identical as far as hardware goes? If so, you'd just need one image. Use folder redirection or home folders to store user data centrally on a server.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    We use Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition instead of Ghost now, but otherwise, what the above people said.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    We use Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition instead of Ghost now, but otherwise, what the above people said.

Check your PM
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I like the folder redirection on a file server but what approach do you use...Let say you need to backup everyday and you need only to backup the changes or the additional file that has been saved. Imaging the entire disk takes a lot of time. What I want is something like windows backup where you can backup by increments. I didn't see that feature in ghost 10.. I'm not that sure though.

btw I've seen one intriguing (funny) approach where they are using the offline files and folders feature for their backup. and ohh i forgot to mention their using it for all desktop pc's not laptops.
  • Options
    You'll need backup software (like Backup Exec), not imaging software, for your backups. Then you can do normal, differential, incremental, etc.

Offline files is used by default with folder redirection. That way, the server can go down, or a workstation can go down, and the user will still have their files.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You'll need backup software (like Backup Exec), not imaging software, for your backups. Then you can do normal, differential, incremental, etc.

Offline files is used by default with folder redirection. That way, the server can go down, or a workstation can go down, and the user will still have their files.

I thought offline files is use only for mobiles...So you mean if I use folder redirection via GPO then by default offline files is set?
  • Options
    Yea, but you can adjust it to your needs.

I have it set on both workstations and notebooks, but it depends on your needs and resources. I'd rather have the data in two locations.

Check this out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737434.aspx (be sure to read the subsections on the left).
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Thanks for the replies. I like the folder redirection on a file server but what approach do you use...Let say you need to backup everyday and you need only to backup the changes or the additional file that has been saved. Imaging the entire disk takes a lot of time. What I want is something like windows backup where you can backup by increments. I didn't see that feature in ghost 10.. I'm not that sure though.

btw I've seen one intriguing (funny) approach where they are using the offline files and folders feature for their backup. and ohh i forgot to mention their using it for all desktop pc's not laptops.

Dude, BESR Desktop Edition. Does incrementals, yet allows complete restore, granular restore, whatever you want, even complete system restore to entirely different hardware if you want. It's delicious.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Acronis supports incremental image/file-level backups, best of both worlds.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea, but you can adjust it to your needs.

I have it set on both workstations and notebooks, but it depends on your needs and resources. I'd rather have the data in two locations.

Check this out: Implementing Folder Redirection: Group Policy (be sure to read the subsections on the left).

Thanks!