Options

Does anybody know proxy + firewall in one small box?

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Hi

I’m looking for small proxy server and firewall for 10 users as cheap as possible. I would like to find something like let say Zyxel firewall but with proxy server for controlling users internet connection. Do you know if something like that exists?

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've done both IPCop (IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!) and Smoothwall (Welcome to Express 3.0! - SmoothWall.org) for small organizations that needed similar features on the cheap. Not sure if you were looking for something like that (that you run on PC hardware) or a hardware based option.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    darkerosxx wrote: »

+1

And if you want it to be even easier, just use opensuse and YAST.

Then you basically get a gui for installing and "most" of the configuration. Actually the firewall can probably be entirely configured from the GUI. Squid will take some hand editing. But you will be good to go. And you can get all you logs in one place as well. But be careful there so you don't overload the box with logs. It will be good to use something like "logrotate" or a syslog server. But anyway that should get you started.

Also this will run more then adequately on an older box, I have had great success on a P3 with 256 Ram supporting dozen users. Now don't be setting up the company website and Mail server on the same box. But just as a firewall and proxy you should be fine.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    Many thanks for advices.

I’m looking rather for hardware solution; I don’t want to install software. My problem is it is for remote office in different country, so basically if I will use PC I have reliability problem as it can easily fail. My problem is also, I need also quite simple solution for set up.
    Do you think is it possible to find something like that?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By Proxy server do you actually mean filter (as in have granular control of URLs/Protocols etc?)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netgear ProSafe FVX538 is our appliance of choice. There are better and there are cheaper, but we like the bang for bucks with them and often use them at clients for not only website blocking but also for tracking down internal sources of virus. Not only that but they are a VPN firewall so allows to lock down remote access too.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Many thanks for your help. I'm not quite sure Netgear ProSafe FVX538 is web control device, I tried to find something about this functionality in documentation but nothing there. Could you confirm, I'm able to use this as web proxy server?

And obwiously Astaro and Endian are what I'm looking foricon_smile.gif

Best Regards
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Don't forget Watchguard and Sonicwall.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've been using snapgear at several customers sites for a couple of years now with good reviews.

Product Family / Models: Secure Computing
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say invest in a cheap small second hand computer such as a compaq.

Google Image Result for http://www.shielingit.co.uk/catalog/images/compaq%20en1.jpg

Those are the ones I tend to use, Install Debian without a GUI if your good with the CLI and configure Squid Proxy, And edit IPTABLES for firewall.

Job done and it's free!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Standard Linux (I prefer Suse)

IPTables = Firewall
    Squid = Proxy

It will do all plus more of what the big boys do.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)