Options

best path after ccna

rotinhell2568rotinhell2568 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
what do you guys think is the best path after ccna(voice security or wireless)
which one has the most potential to to make the most money and which one will there be a high demand for in the upcoming years?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whatever interests you. There's going to be plenty of demand for all of them (would Cisco really have taken the time to create the specializations if there wasn't?).
  • Options
    obviously one of them is going to get more money
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    obviously one of them is going to get more money

If you have no interest no matter how much money your getting you will be board.
  • Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think CCNA Voice -> CCIE Voice would provide you with the most money. CCIE anything would get you the bucks, but looking at job offers that relate to cisco voice path tend to pay very well. ($140K+)

Personally I would do what you enjoy. Working with Cisco VoIP is my least favorite thing to do, so money or not I am sticking to my CCNP -> CCIE path.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably the one you're interested in AND are good at.

We've wasted lots of time interviewing CCVP candidates who couldn't place a phone call if we gave them a pay phone and a pocket full of change.

We still need CCVPs and start experienced CCVPs over $100k -- but that doesn't mean anything to the people who didn't get and still aren't getting past our interview process.

If you're good at something, opportunities usually present themselves. And once you have some knowledge, skills, and experience you can usually decide on a course yourself based on the opportunities that are available to you.

The thing that probably would maximize your earning potential after the CCNA would be a job where you get experience using the CCNA knowledge and skills.

The people who bypass that experience step and jump immediately into their next certification (and higher level certifications) usually don't do as well as the people who got the experience along the way.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    luckybob wrote: »
    I think CCNA Voice -> CCIE Voice would provide you with the most money. CCIE anything would get you the bucks, but looking at job offers that relate to Cisco voice path tend to pay very well. ($140K+)

Personally I would do what you enjoy. Working with Cisco VoIP is my least favorite thing to do, so money or not I am sticking to my CCNP -> CCIE path.

Yeah I'd have to agree with bob here, it seems like the voice certifications + decent experience is in high demand and is high paying. CCNA Voice to CCVP and possibly CCIE voice down the road.

I've seen several jobs on career builder and monster for CCIE Voice's with decent experience at 150k+ bonuses, benefits and relocation assistance.

But commonly the next step after ccna is ccnp (then start a new track after you have decent experience in general networking)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do what you like to do the most, that is the next step.

I spent many years working retail management for a computer retailer, since the pay was base + commission and it was run somewhat like a franchise, I took home a very healthy salary - many years just under 100k a year. But I left that line of work for a 50% pay reduction because it didn't appeal to me, it wasn't what I wanted to do. Now I'm working my way up the IT ladder, carefully making sure my path takes me down the road I want to follow - not the road the might pay the most.

Another thing I firmly believe in is you can make very good money as long as you do what you love, because if you love your work then it will be reflected in your work and eventually down the line you will be recognized for that and good opportunities will arise.
  • Options
    i've alwasy been an it guys and have always doing hands on work and that is what i love about cisco and that is way any cisco path would suit me well because i think i would enjoy all of them. Anything in the IT field would make happy even mcse stuff. The only thing i don't like is programming java and C++ and crap like that.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keeping mindful eye on the money while looking at what interests you, best move.

What is your experience? More Cisco without experience isn't gonna help much.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    If you want to roll on with certifications without gaining experiance. That is if you cannot find a networking job right off of the bat I suggest switching gears and getting certified in another subject like Linux/Unix, Security, what have you.
  • Options
    right now i have no experience but i'm going to look for a helpdesk job and slowly work my way up? I'm thinking about getting a+ certification quickly so i can get a helpdesk job or tech support. What job would u guys recommend for an inexperience person in the it field
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    right now i have no experience but i'm going to look for a helpdesk job and slowly work my way up? I'm thinking about getting a+ certification quickly so i can get a helpdesk job or tech support. What job would u guys recommend for an inexperience person in the it field

Funny thing is even with an A+ nowadays doesn't guarantee getting a job in helpdesk. When I worked at a shop we would have people come in all the time when we ran ads in the paper looking for work showing up with their A+ certificate. We would ask them to put together a computer and ask them what this interface was, what this did, et al. So many folks failed even with A+ in hand. We wouldn't look at someone after awhile unless they had experiance in the first place A+ excluded!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

If you want to go the networking route, I'd take a look at the service providers around you for a job and work your way up from there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□

I worked my way up from being a Best Buy Tech (well before Geek Squad *shutters*) for about 3 years while still in high school and the first year of college. I went from there to a call center, to level II support, to Server Administrator, to where I am now Senior Network Server/Administrator.

If you find the right job you can get excellent work experience in many fields. The best jobs for this are Jack-of-all trades jobs.

When I started in the IT field, 14 years ago, I didn't have a cert to my name. Luckily I was able to find work that dealt heavily with Microsoft, Citrix, Cisco, Cisco VoIP, Veritas, VMware, and many other technologies I have had the pleasure (not veritas) to get experience with.

The best advice is to find a job you will be happy with, OWN IT! Do everything you can, research new technologies and present them to your boss. Get your own experience and run with it. After a few years look to upgrade your position, through a promotion or new job.