Options

Cisco Newbie

2»

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    CiscoGreek wrote: »
    no no im talking about adding extra ethernet ports - the 2600 router i have is a 2620 and the 1700 router i have is a 1721 they each have a serial and ethernet port.. so i am now going to add another serial in each. The WIC-1ENET was refering to an additional ethernet port for the 1700 routers
    Ah right. Thought you had a 2600 and was trying to use a WIC-1ENET with it. Those cards aren't supported in a 2600 and won't be recognised.

The 2nd piece of that post still stands though. For now, you just want to get WIC-1T or WIC-2T cards. The WIC-2T has two serial ports but the connector is the smaller Smart Serial type instead of the large DB60 type.
  • Options
    CiscoGreekCiscoGreek Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ah right. Thought you had a 2600 and was trying to use a WIC-1ENET with it. Those cards aren't supported in a 2600 and won't be recognised.

The 2nd piece of that post still stands though. For now, you just want to get WIC-1T or WIC-2T cards. The WIC-2T has two serial ports but the connector is the smaller Smart Serial type instead of the large DB60 type.

Would prefer the wic-2t but they are ofcourse more expensive! I been lucky the two routers have set me back £50 and i got a serial and 2 console cables as well. Atleast now i wont be trying to find 2 ethernet ports but rahter focus on getting 2 serial.

BTW if i wanted to upgrade the IOS on this 1721 - it has 32/16 right now.. what would be the highest it can handle? Right now we on 12.2

Thanks for the help! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Would prefer the wic-2t but they are ofcourse more expensive! I been lucky the two routers have set me back £50 and i got a serial and 2 console cables as well. Atleast now i wont be trying to find 2 ethernet ports but rahter focus on getting 2 serial.
    If you want 2 serial ports on each router then 1x WIC-2T is probably cheaper than 2x WIC-1T. You'll still need to get the necessary serial cables.
    BTW if i wanted to upgrade the IOS on this 1721 - it has 32/16 right now.. what would be the highest it can handle? Right now we on 12.2
    If you have sufficient RAM and flash for it, you can run all 12.4 and most of the 12.4T releases. Cisco stopped doing releases for several old routers after 12.4.15T.
  • Options
    well that could be true - but harder to find on ebay icon_sad.gif

Yeah i just realised that i discovered the cisco IOS navigator! Sorry if i could ask one more thing - which all these feature sets - which is the one most useful for the CCNA?
  • Options
    Yeah i just realised that i discovered the cisco IOS navigator! Sorry if i could ask one more thing - which all these feature sets - which is the one most useful for the CCNA?
    Last time I checked, IP Plus should cover everything. IP Base would probably do to be honest for most things.

Assuming its a recent IOS.

Read this.
  • Options
    well im assuming you call 12.3 recent enough? :)
  • Options
    well im assuming you call 12.3 recent enough? :)
    According to Wendell, ideally you want 12.4.

All of my routers ran 12.4 or 12.4T so I don't know if there is anything that you'd not be able to do with 12.3.