Options

subnetting

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
question about subnetting:

i am doing a model of a /18 subnet (255.255.192.0), which is a class B address.
so my network address is going to be 172.16.0.0

my range is going to be the following
subnet 0.0 64.0 128.0 192.0
1st host 0.1 64.1 128.1 192.1
last host 63.254 127.254 191.254 255.254

What i am confused about, and i have no way of checking. CAn machines on the 64.0 subnet communicate with machines on the 128.0 subnet?

I thought that machines only in the subnet of 0.0 can communicate with a machine only in the group. Example: 172.16.1.4 can reach 172.16.40.1, but will not be able to reach 172.16.65.1.

AM i correct on my thinking? or do i need to review my chapters?

thank you.
Utini!

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If machines on different subnets could communicate what would be the point in having different subnets?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Review is in order. They have to be in the same range of addresses to talk. Subnets change this range.

Check out

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What hardware you are using in this scenario? You'll need an L3 device to route between subnets. Devices on different subnets can obviously communicate with each other, but you need to have the right hardware. You can't just plug everything into a L2 switch and have them communicate.
  • Options
    e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    dynamik wrote: »
    What hardware you are using in this scenario? You'll need an L3 device to route between subnets. Devices on different subnets can obviously communicate with each other, but you need to have the right hardware. You can't just plug everything into a L2 switch and have them communicate.
    You answered another one of my questions mate, thanks. I need a L3 device such as a router or a switch that supports layer 3, think those switches are 36xx if i am not mistaking. thanks again mate.
    cheers!!!
    Utini!
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Router on a stick is what you need if you are using a layer 2 switch
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)