Problem with my Dell Laptop

dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am having an issue with my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop. I have had this thing for about 1 and a half years but now everytime I try to play music while surfing the internet I get a Blue screen of death within a couple of minutes. I reformated the thing thinking this would get rid of the problem but still have the same issue. As long as I don't play music the laptop works without any problems.

Here is the error code I get once I restart the laptop:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I am stumped so I am turning to the techexams users for help. I will appreciate any help you can give me. I really don't want to have to talk to Dell Tech support unless absolutely necessary.

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I would see if there is an updated driver for your soundcard available. I would also run a memory diagnostic and hard drive diagnostic.

Some dell models have these features built in the BIOS, but im not familiar with that model.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have seen BSOD with Error code 7F mostly with either faulty Ram or in PCs running Vista without Service Pack and more than 2GB of Ram (known bug).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have the latest drivers for the sound card. I have also ran the dell and windows memory test and both reported no errors. I have SP1 for Vista Home Premium and 2GB of RAM. I am starting to think it is my wireless network card. A few times when I checked for a solution for the BSOD it came back saying it was a wireless network problem.

I have tried my external sound card and still get the BSOD. When I tried my wired connection tonight everything seemed ok. I'll try a couple more things tomorrow but I think I am going to have to get the wireless card replaced.

If anyone else has any ideas besides replacing the wireless card let me know.

Thanks
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    If you use the wired connection with the wireless disabled, does it still happen?
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Does it happen to just that song? Have you tried other songs as well?
    I think I figured it out guys. I tried connecting to our ISP router/modem with my wireless card and everything seemed to be working ok. So that left me to believe my wireless router was the problem. I reset the router settings and reinstalled it with a different SSID and now everything is working great.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dabve3 wrote: »
    I think I figured it out guys. I tried connecting to our ISP router/modem with my wireless card and everything seemed to be working ok. So that left me to believe my wireless router was the problem. I reset the router settings and reinstalled it with a different SSID and now everything is working great.
    What? That is like saying my car engine keeps randomly blowing up but I changed the license plate and now its working great. Either the drivers are buggiest ever or you've got a hardware problem somewhere still.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad it worked out for ya! Surprised though the router you reinstalled. I was expecting more like the wireless card in your laptop.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would have to agree with tiersten here. Don't be surprised if this problem resurfaces.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am stumped so I am turning to the techexams users for help. I will appreciate any help you can give me. I really don't want to have to talk to Dell Tech support unless absolutely necessary.

Have you tried the Dell forum?

Not to get rid of you here and all...but, well.....it is likely to find the solution there, particularly if others are having it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Yeah I was surprised that it worked after reconfiguring the router. I installed a new router a few weeks ago and gave it the same SSID and password as the old router. I am thinking that might have had something to do with it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this problem doesn't resurface. I'll check out the Dell forums if it happens again.