Options

Cisco VPN to Sonicwall

boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
I was setting up a VPN connection today from behind a Cisco ASA to a Sonicwall firewall. The guy who works at the place that has the Sonicwall says that he has set up several VPN connections using a Windows VPN connection with success. However, the Windows VPN connection does not work from behind our ASA due to restricting GREs. I am not sure what GREs are, but that is what is going on according to my supervisor. I tried using the Cisco VPN client which I know works from behind our ASA because it is in use in the same VLAN connecting to another facility. This attempt also failed to connect to the Sonicwall firewall.

These are the things I do know:
-The Cisco VPN client works connecting to another facility.
-Our ASA is configured to allow all IPs from that VLAN to access the remote location via VPN.

Can anyone offer help?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't fully understand the issue you are having, here are a few things to think about:

Cisco VPN client can use ESP (IP protocol 50), or can use NAT traversal on UDP 4500/10000 or over TCP. This allows the traffic to pass through PAT

You can enable PPTP and GRE through an ASA if you want.

If you have a diagram to look at it would help
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    We operate router on a stick with our ASA being on the border of our network. We have contracted people that come into this particular building and want to VPN back to their building (completely seperate of our network obviously).

I don't see that the problem is on our end because we are using the same Cisco VPN client to successfully VPN to another site off of our network (non-Sonicwall).

My supervisor can see the ASA reject the VPN traffic coming from the Microsoft VPN client. However, he can't see anything on the ASA coming from the Cisco client.

Could someone elaborate on what GREs are for me?