Options

If you won the lottery, what would you do?

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'd go on a vacation all around the world. I'd pay off my sister's mortgage, expand my parent's house, get my own new place, then just go back to IT work as I'm doing now.

I'd also buy some cool gadgets <<< technology related so it fits in the Off-Topic Forums :D

But then honestly, I think I'd go back to work doing the same thing I'm doing now as I love my job.
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would start out with stop stressing about being unemployed. Then I'd knock out all of our debt. Then probably move somewhere with snow, get a house, and get back into employment. Probably pay for that VCP course as well. I don't know, I'm not a very expensive person. Keep me in a new game every now and then and something to study and I'm pretty happy.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I've seen stories of fork lift operators that go back to their jobs full-time after winning millions of dollars. I know I wouldn't want to sit around and do nothing; that seems to be pretty common.

I'd probably start up my own thing instead of just going back to what I'm currently doing. I like education, so I might start a training center or something. Maybe be a full-time blogger or create CBTs.

I'd give most of it away though. I'd like my own place and a little financial security, but my needs are pretty basic. Aside from a house and some land, I might buy a new TV and some new equipment and/or toys to play around with. I might even trade in my Corolla for a Camry too (you know, go totally wild). If I won hundreds of millions of dollars, I think it would be obscene to keep more than a few million for myself.
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I would travel a lot too at first. I would do it for fun, but also as a learning experience, to see and learn about other cultures. After traveling, I would do volunteer work. I wouldn't have to be concerned about money anymore, so I could do what I've always wanted to do, help others.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What would you do with the begging letters if you won??
    If i won i'd probably keep sending them.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does anyone ever "play" the lottery?

The only time I do is when I get pressured into it via an office pool. I don't want to be the guy who shows up to a closed office while everyone else is sipping margaritas on a beach.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first thing I would do is eliminate my mortgage and student loans as well as the credit card debt that has been building since my hours got cut back. The next thing I would do is purchase a new home to take advantage of the lower prices currently since we would want something a bit larger as we plan for another child or two - but nothing too huge, I don't want more house than we needed but I'd build a nice theater room, and for certain a nice lab room for me to tinker in. I would make sure I have invested enough for my son as well as future children to be able to go as far along with their schooling as they should desire without having to worry about paying for any of it - they would still need to cover their other living expenses, I wouldn't spoil them as they would need to learn about life just as my wife and I did. I would take care of some of my other family members debt problems, but again - I would make certain they were not spoiled and got whatever they desire, nothing good can come from that. I would take a much needed vacation with my wife and son. Once things settled down from the shock of winning, I would invest in a very nice lab that could take me through whichever Cisco path I desired and work on getting into the career path that I want to be on.

Once that was all done, I'd invest an ample amount to ensure a healthy retirement. I'm sure there would be some splurging for some toys, but nothing insane like you read about some people... I love cars, but I'm not going to own 30 cars either. The rest I would donate to good causes as my wife and I saw fit. I really don't think I would go that wild with it though aside from what I listed. Frankly I despise money, sure you need it to live but I want just enough to be happy and nothing more. I was too fortunate if you can call it that in my early 20's to be earning a very healthy salary and my wife and I blew money left and right like it was water. We really didn't have anything to show for it in the end except our "toys" which to us now in our current mindset are of little value. It was a good learning experience though, I took a lot out of reflecting on how I was then with money.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I would buy beer. Lots and lots of beer.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I'd be broke within 2 months.

I would make sure I never had to work again. I have enough hobbies to keep me busy until I die.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wait...how much are we talkin???

dependin on the amount determines what i would do. but one thing i would definitely do for sure...pay my loans & debt off...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well to start I would like most pay off my debt. Then I would buy a house with 8,000 sq-ft and a few acres a pool, hottub, and it would be right up against the mountains. Then I would buy a 07 WRX STI, 07 EVO, 09 Vette, 67 Nova, 68 Firebird, 68-69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, 65 GTO, 68 Hemi Dart, 97 TT supra, 95 Civic VX hatchback with an 07 EVO driveline convertion (yes an AWD civic that weighs 2000lbs.) 09 4 door Jeep Wrangler, 09 Dodge Ram diesel, Put a huge shop on my property and put a dyno in it and every tool known to man for working on cars. Then I would buy all my immediate family houses and new cars and pay off all their debt. Then I would buy multiple houses in: Burbank California, Kalispell Montana, Chandler Arizona, Jackson Hole Wyoming, Burke Virginia. I would then rent them all out except for one house in each state and have my family maintain them and pay them to travel around to each house to take care of them and stay in the other house that isnt rented. Then I would travel and live life building and racing all my cars and buying and shooting all the guns I could ever ask for in my back yard.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1. Pay off my student loans
    2. Pay off my sisters student loans/car
    3. Probably buy 2 cars: Lexus and a Hybrid
    4. Travel for a couple months
    5. Get my Masters
    6. Get my PhD
    7. Put enough away so if I want to I can live off the interest
    8. Put some away if I ever have kids (doubtful but who knows)
    9. Rest goes to charity (St Judes being the biggest one)

My mom is a Special Education teacher and there are a number of people that give money to allow her kids to do things and go places they would never have the chance to go. I'd start a program like that. Oh yeah and buy any technical toys I'd want. I would probably work some as getting those degrees with no experience would make me a horrible teacher :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would be more than happy to win a good few K's to put down a deposit for a house or something. That would honestly be more than enough for me. At the moment me and the missus cant even afford to get on the ladder. Think it will be renting for eternity for me!

If it was millions - dont get me wrong i wouldnt turn it down :)

I would spread a bit to the people i love and who have done great things for me, buy my own place, a new car but i would go back to work. Eventually i would hope to work my way up the networking ladder. Then if i wanted, i would have the cash to start my own consulting business or something along those lines.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Pay off my credit card bills and student loans.
    Invest in more houses.
    Build my own house.
    Open some sort of business hopefully.
    Ferrari?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A week in Space for me, want to experience weightlessness.
    Buy enough food for all of Africa, cant bear to see malnutritioned kids.
    A penthouse.
    A Lamborghini Muercilago.
    And everything else the missus wants.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pay off my sisters' debt, pay off the mortgage, go to grad school, travel, and invest more into my business running it full-time from anywhere in the world while I travel. Would be nice to teleconference from a cafe in Paris while looking at the Eiffel tower.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would buy beer. Lots and lots of beer.

+1

Same for me!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Ide go to Vegas and put it all on "RED", and then slip a knife across my throat when it lands on "BLACK"

Or do what the KLF foundation done in August 1994 and burn 1 million quid, there entire profits from all the singles they made. All the ashes are now in the shape of a house brick, nice!!!
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Hmm Good Question

I would pay off all my debt i have and buy a new house in full. After that i would start my own IT company and continue to do what i love most. Maybe a vacation would come before all this since i got millions sitting in the bank anyways. Think i might thrown in a Ford GT500 in the mix there and be happy at this point.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Make sure all out bills are paid.
    2. Take care of rest of family's expenses... forever
    3. Set aside enough in banks to live off the Interest...For 2x our current monthly income, that would require about $3 Million (that ought to live off of, be more than enough, having paid off all the bills)
    4. Give the rest away (gradually)

I'd take care of needs first, set it up so that my family be comfortable indefinitely, and help others.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pay off my mortgage.

Start a business and/or invent something. Basically do something great.

Spend money on my family.

Put the rest in the bank.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I would opt to take the winnings in a lump sum, which would have a 40% hit in taxes alone. Assuming I take home a decent amount, say $33 million, I would pay off my debts, put away the money I need to finish my certs, then give the rest away. Money is evil. ;)
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've actually had this discussion a few times. First off, pay off any debt that is out there. Second I would buy both of my daughters nice but modest homes and pay for them to finish college. Third I would prepay my grandson's college education and set up a trust fund for him. Last I would pay off my sister's mortgage so her and her family can have that piece of mind.

Then Id get myself a new car, a new home, and bank the rest. Maybe a few new toys like some new camera gear, new tv.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I'd give it all to Madoff so he can invest it for me.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jryantech wrote: »
    I'd give it all to Madoff so he can invest it for me.

icon_lol.gif

I'd do the same as most. Buy a house and take care of the family. I wouldn't quit my job though, I get bored quick sitting at home. I hardly ever even take vacation....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    debt free here so no worries on that front.... and probably in the enviable position of not needing to work.....

(assuming its a BIG win here)

so after spreading a little round the family....

id do what i do now and get paid for my hobby only difference Id probably take another year off (i took a year off only 2years ago) and go do a couple IE cert's in between travelling around again couple of places I missed last time that I want to see

guess i must do the lottery to actually win it at some point tho
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Hrm. Well, I'd probably pay off the condo mortgage & hubby's student loans, do the same for family members and get my mom to FINALLY retire, sock a chunk away for my own retirement, & go to school without worrying about incurring more new debt. If there's leftovers, I definitely want a house in Arizona (in Tempe, Scottsdale, Sedona, or Jerome - GOD I miss that state). Also, travel would definitely be on the list. I'd also try to give some money for research for my husband - scientific funding is hard to come by these days and so it'd be neat to give him some funding and let him go play without having to worry about proposals, goals, deadlines...science is at its best and most beautiful without the constraints of a capitalist society.

Of course I'd by a few techy toys, but we already have umpteen computers in the house so I'd probably just keep it to upgrading some computer/network components. I'm a pretty simple gal and the hubby and I don't need much to be happy. But our dog would probably like to have a house with a yard again, and maybe another dog "friend" to keep him company.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Did you know that 30-40% of lottery winners of humongous cash payouts are in financial trouble or bankrupt after about 5 years? Isn't that crazy?
    So I guess the best answer is to pay off debt and stash away some major savings.
    I think I would also set up a scholarship program at the ol' alma mater.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    I'll tell you what I'd do, man

Two chicks at the same time, man.

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    cnfuzzd wrote: »

You don't need a million dollars to do that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...