Options

NP to VP or straight to VP?

MillettiniMillettini Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
Afternoon,

This is one for the future…

I am currently studying ICND2 and hope to be sitting exam in around 2 months. I work as a Net Admin for in IT consultancy and CCNA is a requirement followed by some MS certs (Booo!) and then VMware VCP (which is really cool!) and maybe Citrix. After I have these then the training/certification world is my oyster.

Now what really wets my pallet is VoIP and as we have a CME system in the production environment the plan is for me to take ownership of it. I think this would be a great opportunity for me to get some hands on experience and the quals (as well as probably take down the phone system). Now, watching the CBTs for the CCENT Jeremy suggests that the best route is CCNA then CCNP and then branch off to either CCVP or CCSP. I understand that by the time I get round to this the CCNA:Voice will have long been a prerequisite for the CCVP but was just wondering from anyone’s point of view out there that either has any of these certs or is studying for them whether you might agree with this or have any other suggestions?

All comments welcome.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should check out the CCVP forum. There are a couple similar threads there.

IMO it would be best to get the CCNP or at least equivalent level of knowledge before moving on to the CCVP. I know quite a few VoIP people who can't even set up a simple default route in a router. This is ok if your only responsability is the VoIP side, but you never know when you will need the routing and switching knowledge. You don't neccisarily need to take the exams and get the certification (but if your learning the material why not?) but a good grasp on general networking technologies is great tool for your tool belt no matter what area you decide to specialize in.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MillettiniMillettini Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool, thanks my man. Just the sort of person I wanted an answer from. I've just checked out the CCVP Forum and, as you say, there are several threads on the exact same subject...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Millettini wrote: »
    followed by some MS certs (Booo!)

Why the Booo?