Options

Talking about Holidays at Interview??...

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Im going to an Interview but in the summer I have booked a months holiday
So If I get offered the job should I tell them about the month holiday at my interview?
whats the best way to deal with this as I want to go on holiday and I want the job whats the best thing to do? Should I tell them and if so when?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't mention it until an offer has been tendered. At that point is when you should start talking about time off, schedules, etc. Doing it during the interview can only prejudice the employer.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    undomiel wrote: »
    Don't mention it until an offer has been tendered.
    +1

Unless you're planning to turn down the job offer if you couldn't take the holiday, they don't need to know until the time an offer is made?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What Undomiel said.

I brought it up with the employment agent when I got the offer. He smoothed it over with the employer better than I could have (They are born bull sh**ers!)
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The problem for me is that I have a interview coming up for a job that I want
    But I have also Booked a five week holiday and I want to go on the holiday as well
    so Im scared they might reject me cos Ive got a big long holiday booked!!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    DoubleD wrote: »
    But I have also Booked a five week holiday and I want to go on the holiday as well

Well if you can't get out of the vacation when they offer you the job I would be upfront with them...I know people who have and it had not hurt them...Is there any listing or information on what new employees generally start with before hand? I knew in my first round of interviews for this job how much time I'd get off for the next year.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Don't mention it unless/until you're offered the job. If they want to hire you, then you going on holiday or having a previous engagement/commitment shouldn't be a deal breaker. If it is a big deal and they're hard-arses about it, then...well, you probably don't want to work for them anyway!! icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    DoubleD wrote: »

5 week holiday? I think that is A LOT to ask for a new employee, at least here in the U.S it is. I guess you'll have to decide which is the bigger priority.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is your call, a short vacation or a vacation for long time before the market come back up again. A job is better than not job. Everybody need a vacation, but not everybody can get a job at this time.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Kasor wrote: »
    It is your call, a short vacation or a vacation for long time before the market come back up again. A job is better than not job. Everybody need a vacation, but not everybody can get a job at this time.
    +1

If they want to hire you they will work around plans you have all ready made, so long as your plans aren't for taking the holiday two weeks after you start your job. But then again, if you can postpone a holiday for work you look like a star!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A five week holiday?? Seriously, no reasonable manager is going to go for that whether you're already working for them or not.

What's more important to you?

And as a rule, you shouldn't mention time off until they're ready to hire you (as the others said).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...