Network Monitoring - Solarwinds NPM...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Anyone here ever use it and could perhaps vouch for it's effectiveness?

I've installed a trial on our server at work and have been speaking with one of the engineers there. It seems very informative and easily customizable, but I figured I'd try to get some input from someone who's actually worked with it before dropping $3,000 of the companies money.

Despite the fact that I feel it would pay off 10 fold, that's still money that could be in my pocket if I were to ask for a raise soon!

Comments

• motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    We use it at work and ti is a good tool to have in your arsenal. Projects have kept me from working with it here lately, but when I was using it more often, it was quite impressive.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not check out some open source alternatives? Opsview is currently my beast of choice, full commercial support if you want it, free if you don't. Our parent company uses Solarwinds and they are thinking of switching after seeing Opsview on our side of the network.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    We use an array of tools, including Solar Winds and it has always worked well.

I would say it depends on what you are after, if you need reporting then I honestly would say go commercial. However, if you want flexible monitoring that you can craft to fit your needs then open source is the way.

Open source requires and investment of your time but will not match up with reporting functionality IMO.

Check out OpenNMS, OpsView (Nagios) and Cacti as they are quite easy to install and you can add in bits to meet your needs.

Commercial wise you could check out AdRem's NetCrunch which was quite nice when I last saw it a few months back but it was a tab pricey.

Check out all the options before investing, I have seen too many cases where people invest because it looks good without spending the time during the eval.