Options

GNS3 for routing, what about switching?

kerbydoggkerbydogg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sup Cisco people!

So I've begun on my Cisco track. I've read both ICND1 and ICND2 books and countless labs using GNS3 (I'm too cheap at the moment to buy a bunch of equipment).

GNS3 is great for routing but I think I'm missing out on hands when it comes to switching. Anyone using any free emulators for the switches?
WIP: can't decide.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There are currently no emulators for switches as the switching is done in hardware. The closest you will get is a switching module in Dynamips, but I wouldn't rely on that for cert study.

You could try out a simulator, but a couple 2950s would probably be around the same price as a quality simulator.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kerbydoggkerbydogg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya if I'm gonna spend money, i'll buy the actual hardware.

I was just hoping there was some kinda free simulator/emulators for switches. Honestly I think GNS3 for routing is pretty awesome for CCNA level. We'll see if this holds true for CCNP/CCIE.
    WIP: can't decide.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    GNS3 is just a GUI frontend to dynamips. dynamips works because it is emulating the software only based routers. There isn't any special routing or switching hardware in there.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    A lot of people lay down the cash for some switches and trunk them to Dynamips.
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    I bought my catalyst 2900 for 300sek (28 euro) off ebay. Pick 2 of those up, and you are able to do STP, VLANs, playing around with trunking, some switchport security, etc. i.e, everything for ICND 1 & 2.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Morty3 wrote: »
    I bought my catalyst 2900 for 300sek (28 euro) off ebay. Pick 2 of those up, and you are able to do STP, VLANs, playing around with trunking, some switchport security, etc. i.e, everything for ICND 1 & 2.
    A 2900XL isn't ideal because of the differences in command syntax. A 2950 would be the oldest/cheapest switch you'd want.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A mix of 2950s and 2924s worked well for me.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would go for 2-3 2950's. These can be used towards a bcmsn lab too with a few extra additions (l3 switch)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I used 3 2950's and a few 1721 routers, but to be honest I did most of the routing scenarios in GNS3.