Options

What was your entry level salary like?

124»

Comments

• Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $10 an hour as an intern and then when I officially got hired it went to $11.25 when I left the company three years later I was sitting at $17.25. I worked a ton of overtime though so I guess that has its benfits.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    WOW....come along way since then.....icon_thumright.gif

Back then the called today's small McDonalds soda... a large:)
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    33k annual with quarterly bonus - No certs, no degree. But I had already studied for A+ and Net+ so I just used that knowledge in the interview and I got the job.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    strazorstrazor Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    $29.5k - currently.

Been with this company for a year and the market has really held everything back as far as raises or bonuses. There are none. The future for that here doesn't look too bright either, considering the first thing the company will probably do once it gets back on its feet is to re-hire some people they were forced to lay off several months ago. The last thing on their mind is handing out raises.

This economy is stifling, especially here in Ohio. There are just no other jobs out there that don't require "5 years experience" etc. I am glad for the opportunity I was given, but I went from a 60k a year sales gig (which I unfortunately was laid off from) to this. Half your former salary is extremely difficult to live on.

The IT field was a great switch for me because I have always loved working with computers and helping folks with their computer issues. It's just tough starting from ground 0 at entry level pay doing the work of a Systems Admin. And those ads on the radio for some computer training centers are very misleading - "Are you making $50k a year? NO? What are you WAITING FOR?". Right.

Bachelor's Degree - Information Systems Technology
    A+, Network+, MCP, working on MCSA, Security+
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    strazor wrote: »
    $29.5k - currently.

Been with this company for a year and the market has really held everything back as far as raises or bonuses. There are none. The future for that here doesn't look too bright either, considering the first thing the company will probably do once it gets back on its feet is to re-hire some people they were forced to lay off several months ago. The last thing on their mind is handing out raises.

This economy is stifling, especially here in Ohio. There are just no other jobs out there that don't require "5 years experience" etc. I am glad for the opportunity I was given, but I went from a 60k a year sales gig (which I unfortunately was laid off from) to this. Half your former salary is extremely difficult to live on.

The IT field was a great switch for me because I have always loved working with computers and helping folks with their computer issues. It's just tough starting from ground 0 at entry level pay doing the work of a Systems Admin. And those ads on the radio for some computer training centers are very misleading - "Are you making $50k a year? NO? What are you WAITING FOR?". Right.

Bachelor's Degree - Information Systems Technology
    A+, Network+, MCP, working on MCSA, Security+

I agree. What region are you closest to in Ohio (if yo udon't mind me asking)? I am in the Dayton/Cincy region and it sucks a$$
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Private Industry #1
    1971 - part time vehicle messenger (HS education only) - $2.60/hr
    1977 - IBM System 360 mainframe operator II (AA degree completed, started on BBA) - $14k

1979 - IBM System 360 mainframe operator III (BBA degree completed, AFROTC commission) - $18k
    USAF
    1979 - 2nd Lt, Acquisition Project Officer (AFSC 2721) - $14k
    1984 - Captain, Acquisition Project Officer (AFSC 2724)
    MBA degree completed/Commendation medal - $34k
    Private Industry #1 (returned from military LOA)
    1985 - Computer Ops Analyst III - $28k
    1990 - Computer Ops Analyst III - $40k (layoff)
    K-12
    1990 - Computer Operations Manager - $43k
    1995 - PC/LAN Manager - $52k (layoff) Apple Macintosh Repair cert
    Private Industry #2
    1995 - MIS Manager - $53k
    1999 - MIS Manager - $56k (layoff)
    Private Industry #3
    2000 - NOC Manager - $65K
    2002 - NOC Manager - $72K (layoff)
    2003 - 2009 contracting / temp positions, some IT @ $35/hr or so, others (non-IT) at $7.75/hr
    2009 - $0... unemployed (CCENT cert, CCNA in 30 days?)

Are you all sure you want to work in IT?? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    strazor wrote: »
    Half your former salary is extremely difficult to live on.

Losing 100% of your former salary is even tougher. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    strazorstrazor Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cleveland area, one of the hardest-hit. I think it may be time to move....
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first job in IT was making house calls for hardware fixes/replacements. I made 30 bucks per call with no compensation for gas mileage. At the time it was the only job I could get even with A+ & Net +.