Options

Graphics card issues

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just upgraded my graphics card to a 9800GTX and installed the latest drivers however with default settings my system is locking up as soon as I start moving requiring a hard reset. With the resolution lowered to be par with my old graphics card it will run fine.

I think this is causing a bottle neck on my motherboard because it is PCIe 16x 1.0 and not 2.0. Do you think that would be the problem?

MSI k9a Platinum
AMD 64 X2 6200+
8GB DDR2 800
2TB HDD
Vista Ultimate 64bit
Nvidia 9800GTX

Another thing that concerns me is that the mobo is an ATI chipset, would that cause conflicts?

So far I have tested this on 3 games and had the same issue on all 3. Oblivion, CoD5 and Left4Dead. If I drop the resolution down and reduce everything to medium I have no issues.

Thanks.
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    First thing I would check is to make sure that your system is meeting the power requirements for that card. It might not be getting enough power. Since you've tried the latest drivers try backing them out and give the next version back a go and see what happens.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I think this is causing a bottle neck on my motherboard because it is PCIe 16x 1.0 and not 2.0. Do you think that would be the problem?
    No. PCIe 2.0 cards will work in a PCIe 1.x slot and PCIe 1.x cards will work in a PCIe 2.0 slot.
    Another thing that concerns me is that the mobo is an ATI chipset, would that cause conflicts?
    Unless you're running SLI or Crossfire, it doesn't matter what the motherboard chipset is.

Do what undomiel said and check that your PSU is able to power everything. Also check that the PSU to graphics card cable is connected properly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys. Turns out it is the power supply so it looks like I will have to hold off on using that card until I can either get a new power supply or pick up a secondary VGA power supply.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Thanks for the help guys. Turns out it is the power supply so it looks like I will have to hold off on using that card until I can either get a new power supply or pick up a secondary VGA power supply.

I have the same card. Yeah initially I didn't know about the power supply. Had to upgrade to an 800 watt. Works fine though.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47 wrote: »
    I have the same card. Yeah initially I didn't know about the power supply. Had to upgrade to an 800 watt. Works fine though.

It has been a while since I built that computer so I dont remember what the wattage of the power supply I put in but after some test it was clear it isnt enough. I am trying to decide if I should get a whole new power supply or get a Thermaltake VGA power supply that uses empty drive bays, which I have plenty of.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A whole new PSU will benefit the system as a whole IMO.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would get a whole new power supply, and one of a decent name that's rated at what it can actually produce - many PSU's out there in more off-beat names will label as a 750W or something, but be just the same as a decent quality 400W. I've had good luck with Coolermaster, OCZ, Thermaltake, BFG, etc.

<sarcasm>
    Oh, and who knows... I heard rumor that a good quality video card could yield better ping times in games!
    </sarcasm>
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I would get a whole new power supply, and one of a decent name that's rated at what it can actually produce - many PSU's out there in more off-beat names will label as a 750W or something, but be just the same as a decent quality 400W.
    Yeah. Most of them quote what each individual output can do without anything else loading the PSU and then they just add them all up even though its impossible for you to do that in real life...