Options

2950G switches

CiscoGreekCiscoGreek Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Whats the difference between 2950s and 2950Gs? Are the "G's" any good for the CCNA? icon_cool.gif

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    They are basically the same switch as a 2950, with two additional 1gig uplink ports and they come standard with the enhanced image for QOS.

Not sure I would pay extra for one if it is just going to be used in the lab. If you can get it at the same prices as nornal 2950's then sure it is good switch.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    miller811 wrote: »
    They are basically the same switch as a 2950, with two additional 1gig uplink ports and they come standard with the enhanced image for QOS.

Not sure I would pay extra for one if it is just going to be used in the lab. If you can get it at the same prices as nornal 2950's then sure it is good switch.

WOW that is good news! I just picked one up for £57 (65 euros) off ebay with postage!! so i guess a bargin! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    CiscoGreek wrote: »
    WOW that is good news! I just picked one up for £57 (65 euros) off ebay with postage!! so i guess a bargin! icon_wink.gif

Sounds like you did well.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    miller811 wrote: »
    Sounds like you did well.

Cheers for the help! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Most of the 2950Gs that I’ve seen are of the EI image variety which is a bonus if you get into the ONT or QoS courses. The enhanced image is hardware dependant in the 2950 series (meaning it’s not as simple as an IOS upgrade) and will allow you to do just about all of the LAN QoS stuff.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    pitviper wrote: »
    Most of the 2950Gs that I’ve seen are of the EI image variety which is a bonus if you get into the ONT or QoS courses.
    All the 2950G's are EI from what I remember.
    pitviper wrote: »
    The enhanced image is hardware dependant in the 2950 series (meaning it’s not as simple as an IOS upgrade) and will allow you to do just about all of the LAN QoS stuff.
    Yeah. You can't upgrade from SI to EI like on a 3550. The IOS image is a combined SI/EI binary and it autodetects what it should be. I've not heard of anybody managing to convince it that a SI switch is actually an EI one.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    For the NA track any 2950 should be fine. Even for the BCMSN I used plain old 2950s and a 3550.
  • Options
    hahah sounds like i got a good right bargin then!!