Got a new job...

phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
Well I was working for a health care company as an IT analyst doing everything from phone support to Network/Systems Administration but I got laid off the beginning of January. A couple of weeks of searching and applying for jobs I finally got one.

I'll be starting my new position as a NOC Technician for an ISP in Central Florida. Duties will be monitoring and responding to network issues as reported by our customers and other technicians. Kind of excited, happy to be working again. The bank account was starting to give me nightmares.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I hope you are not working for Atlantic.net or SmartCity... both of those companies in Central Florida go through NOC Technicians like girls go through shoes.

But congrats on the new job.
    "Take anything in this economy" is the new slogan...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Still waiting to hear back from two jobs I interviewed for...one called Friday and said they hadn't decided yet.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jryantech wrote: »
    I hope you are not working for Atlantic.net or SmartCity... both of those companies in Central Florida go through NOC Technicians like girls go through shoes.

But congrats on the new job.
    "Take anything in this economy" is the new slogan...

Terrible analogy. Every woman I know is like my wife, they keep buying new shoes but they retain ownership of their old shoes. For this to fit to Atlantic.net or SmartCity, they would need to keep hiring more NOC Techs and not fire the old ones. You need to hang out with more girls icon_sad.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the job, best of luck to you in both your professional and cert-related endeavors now that you're neck-deep in networking technologies. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    And congatulations! Well deserved I'm sure. I've been unemployed for almost 3 mos and it's driving me bonkers! I'm using my time to study for certifications but it sure would be nice to get back into the routine of a job. :)

Good luck!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Terrible analogy. Every woman I know is like my wife, they keep buying new shoes but they retain ownership of their old shoes. For this to fit to Atlantic.net or SmartCity, they would need to keep hiring more NOC Techs and not fire the old ones. You need to hang out with more girls icon_sad.gif

I do not understand how you have not got a ban yet on these forums.

You consistently reply to everything I post with smart-ass remarks.

I can not believe I had to use the "Ignore" feature on this board towards someone who is Married and seems to have a child. Blows my mind.

Anyway Congrats again phantasm.

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    jryantech wrote: »
    I do not understand how you have not got a ban yet on these forums.

You consistently reply to everything I post with smart-ass remarks.

I can not believe I had to use the "Ignore" feature on this board towards someone who is Married and seems to have a child. Blows my mind.

Anyway Congrats again phantasm.

wow, umm ya, granted what msteinhilber said was a little mean but your response was harsh and uncalled for. I do have to agree that the analogy is flawed since most girls do hang on to all their shoes, but I still understood what you were getting at. Lets all play nice for a change icon_wink.gif

Anywho, back to the original reason for this post and I'll say congrats to you phantasm on the new job. I'm just about to start a new job too, how was the wait/screening process to get you the new job? You made mention about being out of work so I would imagine that any amount of wait was killer for you.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    phantasm wrote: »
    Well I was working for a health care company as an IT analyst doing everything from phone support to Network/Systems Administration but I got laid off the beginning of January....

i though the healtcare field is a recession proof field...i guess i'm wrong.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    i though the healtcare field is a recession proof field...i guess i'm wrong.

seriously, I guess nothing is recession proof but only recession resistant.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    I'll be starting my new position as a NOC Technician for an ISP in Central Florida.

Cool, man. I live in Central Florida too. Will you be working for Brighthouse or Embarq?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Thank you all for the well wishes. Being unemployed was no fun. It was my first time being laid off and honestly I can say it sucks. For those of you facing layoffs or who have been laid off, my sympathy goes out to you.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    Cool, man. I live in Central Florida too. Will you be working for Brighthouse or Embarq?

Wow, small world... A handful of us on these boards are from Central Florida.

• SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Congrats. I also work as a NOC technician and I am really enjoying my job. There are a lot to learn on such place. And you will have the biggest lab you can ever imagine - My company has about 40+ 76xx at the core layer, not to mention the border and access :)
    Non-native English speaker
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yet late to another 'congrats' party....CONGRATS!!!! :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Congrats on the job, from another in the 407.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Well done on the hire.. sounds like a good opportunity!