Options

Talking about **** at an Interview

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I do some voluntary work for an Anti po rn Ministry and I was wondering If it would go down well in an interview setting? If they asked me about any other work I was involved with do you think I should mention the Work I do with the Anti po rn Ministry
is that a good Idea or a bad Idea?

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DoubleD wrote: »
    Hi I do some voluntary work for an Anti po rn Ministry and I was wondering If it would go down well in an interview setting? If they asked me about any other work I was involved with do you think I should mention the Work I do with the Anti po rn Ministry
    is that a good Idea or a bad Idea?

not sure, it depends on what industry you are applying to. I think unless you are looking for another job in said industry, its probably a taboo subject.

After hearing about your experience, I find your screen name to be much more humorous now icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of voluntary work? If its IT work then I would mention it but no go into depth on the mission of the company, but if your voluntary work is non IT related I wouldn't mention it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What kind of voluntary work? If its IT work then I would mention it but no go into depth on the mission of the company, but if your voluntary work is non IT related I wouldn't mention it.

Sound advice. I assume the organization is a non-profit, if so does it go by an alternate name that's less revealing of it's purpose? If so you could use this name and be more discrete about what kind of work the organization did.
  • Options

Im a moderator on a website (that's the main part of my job any way) theres a few other things I do for them but the Website Mod is the main part of my work I do
    so it is IT related as well!
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Moderator? I don't believe 'Forum Moderator' is something that you should list in your resume if that's what you're getting at.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Stotic wrote: »
    Moderator? I don't believe 'Forum Moderator' is something that you should list in your resume if that's what you're getting at.
    I have to agree...if there's more to it than just being a forum moderator, and like previously said if there is a less "obvious" name for the organization, then list the volunteer work on your resume & feel free to talk about it during an interview, but go easy on the details of what the place does. Is it a religious group? If so, then you can just gloss over the details by saying that it's a local religious group that you do volunteer work for and that you do IT-related duties, such as forum moderation and xyz. It may turn off people to know the "mission" of the ministry you volunteer for and it could be the cause for some very uncomfortable moments during an interview! But if all you do there that is IT related is the site moderation, I say drop it completely.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    keep it to yourself, and don't talk about it at the job unless asked about it. You can be a **** crusader all you want to in your free time, but if people think you are one of those "anti" something, then you will be labeled a "anti everything" just human nature.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow...anti-smut??? *sigh*...you know what, i'ma keep my comments about that to myself...i'll just say this...website moderation isnt really anything...if you were the webmaster or website designer, then i'd mention that....but if not, dont even bring it up....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know whether it would be a negative, but I would bet that it doesn't add any value for your employability. Leave it out.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Anti-what? You religious folk sure know how to kill a good time! Kidding, but I wouldn't list it unless you felt it was necessary. Personally, I am a pro-smut atheist. :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Personally, I am a pro-smut atheist. :)

Since we're sharing, I'm a secretly pro-smut Christian.

Good for you for trying to make things better though. That's not at the top of my list for problems to fix, but whatever. Hopefully you just work against illegal material, such as children, etc. You don't want to be responsible for the collapse of the internet and further erosion of our economy, do you? icon_lol.gif

I'd leave it off unless you've gotten some demonstrable skill from doing it (i.e. administering Apache).
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hhhhmmmm I've been putting I'm a General for the Empire online on my resume....might be why I haven't gotten any calls ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Hey I do like po rn but I think its bad for you so I quit and now Im Anti **** cos its a bad thing!
    but any way some times you need a unique selling point something to give the interviewers something to remember you by. So my point would be po rn if I mentioned it!!!

ALSO What about IF i mentioned that I worked in an orphanage overseas helping children and stuff and I worked in Amsterdam all voluntary work but not IT related. Do you think that would be a good thing to mention in interview situation if asked about voluntary work?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If they ask about voluntary work then sure you can let them know you did voluntary work over seas. I wouldn't just bring it up out of the blue though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Weird...

I think you need to be thinking about the big picture more. You are in the interview to sell yourself. So you need to be thinking about the interviewer and what he wants to hear, and what he is thinking of you.

If the interviewer asks what kind of side work have you done, and you tell him a 15 minute story about how you used to swab the deck and walked the plank then what do you think he will think? If you were the interviewer; what would you want to hear?

You need to keep everything relavant to selling yourself. Each situation will be different so you need to adapt to every interviewer to make sure you are making him happy with your answers.

Another thing.. Try to pick up the questions that you don't have good answers for in the interview, then solve them for the next one. If the interviewer asks you about side work and you struggle to come up with an answer.. Then go seek some impressive side work, complete it, then you have made money/learned something new/and have more things to talk about in the interview. 3 birds with one huge stone.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!