Options

Finally hired

Well landed my first job, surprisingly with a major computer manufacturer down in San Jose, California.

The person that held the interview said he had over 100 applicants, 9 were chosen, then finally down to 2 remaining. I was in the group of 9. Then came down to 2 final people. I was the 2nd best candidate, but I was not chosen.

2 weeks later receive a call from the same guy, and he offers me the job. Guess the other guy backed out, or failed his background check who knows.

I did all my paperwork yesterday as well as pre-employment background and drug test. They also ran my credit which kind of scares me.

I have a few things on there just for late payments, but if you look at my balance it's not even over $700... So I'm just crossing my fingers for now. My parents actually pay for the bills that are in question, but recently my mother had quit her job (don't know why), and was just recently rehired.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

I don't think a few late payments and less than $700 debt will hurt your chances.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Unless you're going to be working in a sweatshop, $700 shouldn't be a problem ;)
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats! What are you gonna be doing?
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on thew new job, competition is scary nowadays...
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :) Don't get lazy, keep hammering at those certifications!
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Thanks to all, my position is technical support level 1. Mostly dealing with warranty work and replacements of laptop components.

Was scared about my credit, but they said its no big deal. It's settled, I passed my drug test, background check is pending but I will pass, I've never done anything wrong, and I passed my credit check.

Monday morning up and early for 1st day.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Woohoo! Congratulations! Yeah I've run across a few jobs where they run a credit check. One job I submitted for required a perfect credit history. I hope you enjoy the job and good luck!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    brandon1109brandon1109 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Just wanted to ask, I have a whole bunch of Lacoste polo shirts and Ralph Lauren polo shirts.

Would you find this appropriate to wear with dockers and some Rockford shoes?

We are a casual environment. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job! ive never came across anyone who ran a credit check on you before a job!

If its casual wear to me that indicates jeans/t shirts kind of thing. Smart casual > trousers / shirt. Smart > trousers,shirt,tie & possibly a suit (depending on your level).
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mmartin_47 wrote: »
    Any suggestions?
    Yeah, don't ask a bunch of computer/network geeks for fashion advice. icon_lol.gif

Would that fit in with what you saw during your interview process?

When in doubt -- ask your new boss.

For some reason Lacoste polo shirts and Ralph Lauren polo shirts make me think '70s. Are you talking alligator logo and guy on horse playing polo logo polo shirts?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »

Yeah, don't ask a bunch of computer/network geeks for fashion advice. icon_lol.gif

Would that fit in with what you saw during your interview process?

When in doubt -- ask your new boss.

For some reason Lacoste polo shirts and Ralph Lauren polo shirts make me think '70s. Are you talking alligator logo and guy on horse playing polo logo polo shirts?

LOL yes sir. The guy that interviewed me I forgot if he had dockers on, but he had a T-shirt, not a polo.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Way to go!icon_cheers.gif Keep up the good work!icon_thumright.gif Or someone else will have your job!icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

I laughed at that icon_smile.gif
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    dynamik wrote: »

Unless you're going to be working in a sweatshop

lol, well I suppose even at that point, if it was a sweatshop job in this economy you gotta take what you can get icon_wink.gif

But anywho, congrats on the new job!icon_cheers.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow it looks like they do have alot of requirements ;) I don't think anyone has checked for my credit, but hey they have the winning hand nowadays...
  • Options
    jbaello wrote: »
    Wow it looks like they do have alot of requirements ;) I don't think anyone has checked for my credit, but hey they have the winning hand nowadays...

I asked a few friends about jobs running my credit. They said

A) They run your credit to see if your likely to steal any equipment, which I do have access to.

B) They run your credit in case they hand you a company credit card to see if they can trust you.

Many people said reason A is discrimination, and that you cannot judge someones trust on their credit report.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Way to go! Party time this weekend eh? :)

As for the clothing, wear the attire of the person whose position you wan next. But, for 1st day on the job khaki's and button down, long-sleeved shirt says you take yourself seriously but not too much. Next day you blend in a bit more keeping in mind the future job you want. Good luck!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Way to go! Party time this weekend eh? :)

As for the clothing, wear the attire of the person whose position you wan next. But, for 1st day on the job khaki's and button down, long-sleeved shirt says you take yourself seriously but not too much. Next day you blend in a bit more keeping in mind the future job you want. Good luck!

I was wondering do you think short-sleeve would be ok too?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif

On the subject of attire...if you're not sure, then overdress for the first couple days so you can get a feel for what they really mean by "casual." If you have contact info for the person who hired you on, then ask them if they can clarify the dress code - business casual and casual are two very different things, and you don't want to be making the wrong impression right off the bat. If you don't have contact info or don't want to ask about the dress code, then be conservative - don't go wearing a tie or anything, but do wear nicer pants and maybe a simple button down shirt just to be safe. The person who interviewed you may have been wearing a T-shirt that one day or two because of some other situation (moving equipment or doing other "dirty" work), so don't go judging the whole dress code off what he was wearing once or twice. I say err on the side of caution.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    I was wondering do you think short-sleeve would be ok too?

Ya know, I live in Minnesota so it's friggin cold here and that's why I was thinking long sleeved. LOL :)

That being said, I think short-sleeved, button down shirts are less forgiving if you're trying to avoid the whole Milton, Nerd look but I'm sure you can make it work. :) IMHO
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    genXrcist wrote: »
    That being said, I think short-sleeved, button down shirts are less forgiving if you're trying to avoid the whole Milton, Nerd look but I'm sure you can make it work. :) IMHO

hahaha, ya know I used to do the short sleeved white dress shirt thing until somebody pointed that out to me. After that I just couldn't put one on because its so true icon_wink.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Our dress code consists of: jeans, plain t-shirt, and tennis shoes.

First few days at work were laid back. But now I have to learn our ticketing system once my background check is cleared.
  • Options
    Our dress code consists of: jeans, plain t-shirt, and tennis shoes.

First few days at work were laid back. But now I have to learn our ticketing system once my background check is cleared.

I'd still keep in mind the dress code of the person whose position you would like to get promoted to and go with that. You may be able to dress like that at your job but imo, people (particularily mgmt) won't take you as seriously. :)

Good luck!