Forgot to post- I got a new job!

BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
I posted my resume a few months ago and I appreciate the responses.
I was called on December 4th and was offered a position as a Network Administrator. It was the same day I was taking my final exam for my MCSE (I passed- woohoo!), and it turns out it was 1 year -to the day- that I last worked at my previous job.

It was worth going back to classes and getting my certifications. I ended up getting my A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE, and CCNA done during my layoff period. My employer mentioned that my certifications really helped get my interview.

So I recommend knocking out those certs!
A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrat .
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Don't forget to update your profile with your certs as well. :) So it took you 1 year to get a new job? Uh oh ...
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Congratz! Nice one, lots of certs for 1 year :)
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done dude...

congrats...... on ur new job........

i was laid off for 3 months and then managed to get a diff job but the lesson i learnt from u is to knock off the certs instead of sitting depressed ( which i was).......after being laid off

congrats................:)
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Congrats indeed! icon_cheers.gif

There's been a few TE members lately that have been scoring new jobs, maybe the IT field is starting to rebound icon_eek.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Aldur wrote: »
    Congrats indeed! icon_cheers.gif

There's been a few TE members lately that have been scoring new jobs, maybe the IT field is starting to rebound icon_eek.gif

That would be nice! It could be also that people on Techexams give excellent advice on how to get an IT position.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. Thats great news. Keep up the good work. At least you hit your track head on and made use of your time off.

Best of luck in the new job.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulations !!!
    we wish you good luck in the new place ;)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Congratulations! Don't forget to update your profile with your certs as well. :) So it took you 1 year to get a new job? Uh oh ...

I updated my profile.

About the one year to get the job... I actually was changing career fields and industry. It was rough, but the government was paying for my school -I lost my job due to my previous employer moving the semiconductor manufacturing to Singapore (or some place like that.) And I did draw unemployment all during that time- but it maxed out at less than half of what I was making previously. So we had to take out a 401(k) loan from my wife's 401(k). That loan actually did better of a return than the rest of her 401(k) money, because she was paying back herself with interest. LOL.
    But budget-wise, we were losing over $1000 a month. It was such a relief to get my new job. I had previous IT experience, but I was focused on getting those certs done before looking hard for a job. It actually only took 2 months from when I started actively searching for a job- so don't get too worried.

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes.
    I will do my duty and try to help others out as I was helped here. This is a great, great community.

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your new job. Way to stick with your studying during a rough period.
    Aldur wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing that. I thought maybe I was just thinking too optimistically when seeing these threads.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)