How far is your commute?

2»

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Very true, you can walk 1.5 miles in 15 mins if you are in ok shape...
    Yeah, but it's not so easy to get there via foot when you have to traverse a body of water. If Stotic is in NY and Hoboken is 3 miles away, then I'm betting there's a bridge involved...

As for me, no job currently...just school. That's just over 2 miles away, and without traffic it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get there, but if there's traffic from the local high schools (or just lovely local Chicago traffic in general) it can take up to 30 minutes. icon_eek.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    55 minutes door to door, I am driving 75 miles a day. I am tired of that communte, I cross all Houston city.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My commute's about 20 miles, including a $4.00 tollbooth. It's not too bad, considering many of my former colleagues have a commute of 0 miles, (and an income to match,) so I make it work. My school is close to work, so that's actually pretty convenient. All in all, about 25 minutes with no traffic, and as much as an hour and a half when there is.

Incidentally, I used to flip out over traffic jams and the idiot drivers of California. Then I started smoking cigars, and now I don't mind being stuck in traffic for an hour, just sitting back with the radio on and puffing away. icon_cool.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ~10 miles in about 15 minutes typically. I live in the suburbs of town and work on the edge of town so I don't have to battle traffic on any of the major roadways.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    25 mins for about 12 miles. work in downtown harrisburg, PA
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    25 miles which can take between 35 minutes - 2 hours depending on traffic.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Stotic wrote: »
    40 minutes for 3 miles...gotta love hoboken

Almost sounds like a punch-line for a Joke.

After I read that I heard a Rim-Shot go off in my head!!!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    30mins on the bike, 10 by car. I work very early and leave very late, so I miss traffic, otherwise it would be close to 30 by car as well.

30min commute is 260hrs a year unpaid, sitting in your car. Gross!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm all over. Can take 45 minutes to a couple hours each way sometimes.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    After I read that I heard a Rim-Shot go off in my head!!!

Instant Rimshot
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    bwcarty wrote: »
    About 13 miles and 35-45 minutes each way, and ,......

Same.

Depends on traffic. Biking would be deadly due to the traffic, the bad road (potholes) and drivers with cell phones who were bad drivers before they started on their phones.

I could bike it easily, just not worth the risk to my life just yet....and it's hard picking up kids and taking them to sports and stuff ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Surprised no home workers have appeared yet in this thread.

I have a 1 hour door to door commute. Walk to train station, take train and then walk to work. I don't think its actually that far in terms of distance. Just slow train and lots of stops make it slow. Driving would be significantly longer.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About 100 feet from the bedroom to the home office, or if I choose to go to the "real" office about 6 miles or 15 minutes.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dtlokee wrote: »
    About 100 feet from the bedroom to the home office, or if I choose to go to the "real" office about 6 miles or 15 minutes.

100FT?

How big is your home?

My lot is only 100' long.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Primarily work from home too, so the distance from bed to the coffee machine to my laptop and Blackberry.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Surprised no home workers have appeared yet in this thread.

I have the option to work at home, but to be honest I get much more accomplished if I actually go to the office. It's too easy for me to get side tracked and spent too much time studying if I "work" at home. It's fine a day or two here and there, but I tend to spend more time in the office than at home so I don't fall behind.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    100FT?

How big is your home?

My lot is only 100' long.

Maybe he has an enormous spiral staircase icon_lol.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Maybe he has an enormous spiral staircase icon_lol.gif

Oooh OOOh...or a really long BatCave pole!....Now that would be living the dream, pull a book lever, drop down the pole right into a lazyboy.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I travel 8 miles to my job, which takes about 15 minutes. This is much better than my old job when I had to drive an hour up and an hour back.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • GeorgecooldudeGeorgecooldude Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2hours each way commute to central London.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nah, building code shot down the enomorus sprial staircase, batcave pole, and trap doors when I built it. It's about 7200 sq ft and the home office is over the garage, so down one set of stairs through the kitchen and up another set of steps.

It's kind of like M.C. Escher's 'Relativity'
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About an hour by bike. Rough when there is mist or rain, 'cause I'm soaked by the time I get there icon_sad.gif

10 miles or so. I'm a slow biker.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    45 to 60mins by train. Perfect time to take a lap before work... :) However, train always late and fail to operate in normal timetable... I hate MTA.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Kasor wrote: »
    45 to 60mins by train. Perfect time to take a lap before work... :) However, train always late and fail to operate in normal timetable... I hate MTA.
    yeah, but it's one of the few city transportation systems that runs around the clock. In many major metropolitan areas around the world that have a mass transit system, trains will shut down around 12am/1am/2am for nightly or weekend maintenance. Can you imagine if they tried to shut down the trains overnight in NYC?! icon_eek.gif CHAOS would ensue!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dynamik wrote: »
    How come? I'd consider getting a bike in that scenario.

London is like that, 10 min walk to tube(underground\metro) and 40 min journey...

Way too many fatalities in london for push bike's, add in the fact no shower facilities at work its not an easy option, motor bikes arent much better off.
    Car journey (leaving costs aside) would take around 1-2 hours depending on time lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    10-15 minutes, depends if it is a college break or not. For my town, I have one of the longer commutes, I work all the way north and live all the way south.
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    3.5 hours one-way. Used commuter rail and was a contractor.
    Utini!