Options

CCNA or Network + first?

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
Hi guys,

Right now I am working on my CCNA, and I work in a network operations center. So yes, I would say I am learning alot. I was thinking about getting my Network + while I am on the path to my CCNA.

Keep in mind.. I am new to the network world. I have only worked in the NOC for 3 months.
Any suggestions? Comments? Advice?

I'd appreciate it

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If your new to it all then network+ will give you the foundations of it so i would take a look at the N+ first. If you look at the material and are comfortable with it then go for the ccna. But for anyone new to networking i would suggest N+ then ccna.

Comptia exams are pretty pricey though imo.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would say the same as posted above. If your new to the networking world the Network+ will actually lay a really nice foundation for you for the CCENT/CCNA so i would start there and then move on to either the two test exam or just take it in one shot.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too thought about doing CCNA first, but did Net+ first. I think it's the right decision. Net+ will give you a great foundation on networking. It wll all apply to CCNA. Good luck!
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    Alright Net+ it is..Thanks guys!
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went through the Cisco Networking Academy in college and got my CCNA first and then got my Net + like 2 weeks later. If you study for your CCNA the Net+ is going to be an absolute breeze! Might save you some study time to just study for the CCNA first. Afterall, if you understand the material for that then the Net+ will be easy. Atleast it was for me...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi guys,

Right now I am working on my CCNA, and I work in a network operations center. So yes, I would say I am learning alot. I was thinking about getting my Network + while I am on the path to my CCNA.

Keep in mind.. I am new to the network world. I have only worked in the NOC for 3 months.
    Any suggestions? Comments? Advice?

I'd appreciate it

Thanks,

Cisco is without a doubt what is driving everything, so I would certain drive yout efforts to the Cisco route. CCNA is harder than it's ever been and seems to be respected less. In reality CCNA is just a baseline for many other junior level certs you are going to need.

Cisco provides the rounded baseline for you, you are gonna need for the real world, and I just no longer see where the Network+ places in...

Go for this -
    CCENT >> CCNA >> CCNA: Wireless >> CCNA: Security >> CCNA: Voice >> CCDA

If you earn one every 3 months, you'll be done 18 months.
    -Daniel